NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the boat show and was looking at the Stripers.Mainlty the 23 ft.W/A. Anyone have any info on them or own one? How do they handle the ocean? The salesman said "they handle and ride great offshore",I'm in no rush, just doing some research, the price looked right. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
898 Posts
A friend of mine owns a 1998 Sea-Swirl/Striper 25 foot walk-around. I have ridden on it several times in LI Sound. As far as I can tell its a great boat as it seems solid with a smooth ride, high enough transom with all of the accessories necessary for fising. No problems have developed yet with the boat in four seasons of use.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a 1999 Seaswirl 21Ft Dual Console. I really like the boat. I have had very little problems with it. The origional saltwater washdown didn't work to well, but the dealer came and replaced it with no problem. I did have to replace the horn because the origional horn housing was not water tight, as a result I had some corrosion under the dash. You may want to make sure they have fixed that problem.
I have taken it out to about 15 Miles offshore, and frequently take it fluke fishing in 70-80 feet of water. It can handle a four foot swell pretty well.
The boat your looking at is heavier, so it will be able to handle rougher water better than mine. Over all, I think that the Striper is a good boat, with lots a features for the money. And the folks at Great Oak are pretty good to deal with.
Good Luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Hi there guys,
The Seaswirll is a decent boat, they give you a lot for $$$. I used to work for them doing the boat shows and even owned a Dual Console. In 2001 they changed to a intergrated Transom and bow pulpit. I don't like buying a boat with these ememeties for 2 reasons.
First, the transom is about 2 1/2 ft into the ****pit of the boat which closes down your fishing space.The live well used to be under the jump seats instead of by the transom. Try to get a fish like a bass or a blue around that 2 1/2 ft overhang in the back of the boat.
Second, the moulded pulpit and the intergrated transom add to your LOA. Figuire it out, 2 1/2 ft in the back and about 18 inches for the pulpit. That = 4 ft off a 23.
If you looked at the old style 21 the ****pit is the same as the 23. You are paying for a 23 that in all reality the boat is closer to a 19 1/2.
Apperently my veiws didn't sit to well with the people from Great Oak or Seaswirll and that is why I didn't work the shows this year. Plus buying a 23 Parker SC didn't help the cause.
The reason the boat is so light is that the use fiberglass stringers in the boat which cuts a lot of weight out of the boat. The boat does have reverse chines which gives the boat a little more lift and a slightly dryier ride. The downside is that being that light you are going to get a little bit of a harder ride in a chop.
Any salesman will tell you want you want to hear just to get you sign on the dotted line. My suggestion is that you look at the older style 21(1999) and compare the cocpit space to the new style they implementes on all there lines. Also do a seatrial in the boat you want and try to do it on a day that is a little snotty. Seaswirl is not the only boat line that does this as most of the lines have done the same thing. My personnel opinion is that this is there marketing plan to get you into a bigger boat. Last years 26 model was a regular transom also and they changed that also to the intergrated transom.
My feeling is that if I am paying for a 23 ft boat I want a true 23 not something that overhangs at both ends and is useless space. That extra 4 ft you pay for will also be charged to you for docking space, bottom paint, etc.
This may sound like sour grapes but all of the above is true. I have no problems with the personnel at Great Oak they seem to be one of the few boat dealers that do have some intergrity. Do your homework and make sure you do a seatrial!

bcmeyer

·
Registered
783 Posts
JohnnyB,
bcmeyer makes some great points. I too was at the coliseum last weekend and crawled all over the Stripers... In 99 I got another boat after being "dry" for 13 years, a 180DC by Sea Pro, Glenn Marine in Huntington. Was thrilled with their service at every step of the way, but would love to have the occasional "privacy" the WAs afford. However, price and especially towing weight "weighed" heavily on the decision. Anyway, I noticed on the Sea Pro Website that they now have Walkarounds seemingly comparable to the Stripers. (They went with CCs at the show.) May be worth a look, escpecially if pulpits and transoms don't waste space. If in Huntington, ask for Phil Marsala or Glenn Mazzella himself. My wife and I were totally satisfied with this sales experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to agree with SeaJay, I have a 25 foot, 1998 Striper and have had no problems with it.
It is a good stable boat with room for fishing and family activity. There is pleanty of storage
inside and the dash accomodates the electronics well. I also have the hard top with the electronics compartment. Great Oaks has answered every question I asked them without
making me feel dumb for asking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We bought a '01 Striper 26' w/a last winter up at the boat show in Boston, love it. As mentioned, some boats don't have all we want in lay-out, and I am increasingly surprised at the lack of use, or even poor use of space in some of the boats out there, but each to their own. We run the 26' out 25 NM from the north shore of Ma. and have confidence all the way out and back. It may be a bit light, but full of gas and a few guys, and work the trim tabs the way you should, it has no handling problems at all, and is a pleasure to be in. If you want ultimate deck space look at the 26' w/a outboard w/bracket and full transom, I'll bet it has as much deck space as most 30' footers out there. As most know, OMC went under last year, and they use to produce both the boats and outboards. Seaswirl went to Genmar, good thing, and OMC to Bombardier, good thing. We powered up with a 225 Johnson Ocean Pro, and unfortunately had two lower end problems that really bummed us out. The warranty covered it 100% which was great, but to pull a brand new boat twice the same summer is a killer. As I spoke to more and more people, I feel we were the exception, not the rule, so as of right now, I still feel no ill will towards Johnson. Anyway, with the Bombardier thing going on, there was a lull in engine production for a short time, and I guess Yamaha stepped up to fill that gap. So there is a good chance whatever model Seaswirl you chose, you may have a choice of power plants, either a Johnson, or Yamaha. You won't find more of a boat out there for the $$, and feel confident that in saving a few bucks it will not be costing you either safety or comfort.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A friend of mine owns a 1998 23' SeaSwirl/Striper with a hardtop. He seems to be satisfied with the boat and I know he's been out at Montauk with the boat in some 4 to 6 foot seas without any problems. I own a 1995 2150 Striper with a hardtop and 150 Johnson Ocean Runner. I am satisfied with the performance of the boat in the Sound so far(2 years). I've had it out with four people and 3 to 4 foot seas without any problems. Overall I think Seaswirls a good value at the price.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
bcmeyer did bring up a good point about the new Seaswirls. They did change the design, and it does cut down on the fishing space compared to my 1999. Also, they have increased in price by about 30% since 1999.
One nice feature on the new DC is that there is now space for a porta potty on the passenger side. That minimizes the need for a Cuddy. I find that with the DC, my friend and I can both easily cast light tackle without the worry of getting a hook stuck in an ear. You can't do that real easily with a Cuddy (even a walk around doesn't afford you much space up front to fish from).
Just some added thoughts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I own a 23' Sea-Swirl. I fish in the sound so I can't speak to how it handles off shore but I have never had a problem in the sound. The boat handles well and I rarely get wet inside. It also seems to be very sturdy, the boat is seven years old and everything still appears to be tight. I am very pleased with the boat and the Sea-Swirl/Striper lines seem like good value for the dollar. There are plenty of them on the north shore.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Hi there calmwater,
There is no arguing that your 7 year old boat is probably better then the new lines they have out. Your boat probably has the regular type transom not the intergrated one we where talking about. The S/S is a decent boat for the money but the way they have changed there design forces you to go to a bigger boat because of the INTERGRATED TRANSOM. My point being is that if it works don't fix it. It is not just S/S they all have done it. Thats why I bought a 23 Parker SC. No moulded pulpit, no intergrated transom. A true 23, with the Bolt On Pulpit it does not count towards you LOA. I don't like paying for something that contributes to your LOA. When you pay for dockspace and bottom painting they charge you for your LOA not what is useful. The 23 now has a 2 1/2 ft overhang off the back and 18" inches for the pulpit. Thats 4 ft you are paying for that provides less spcace in the ****pit. I can't figure that one out. I guess to each there own.

Tight lines always,

bcmeyer

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys, big help. I'm in no rush to buy, but I am doing HW on a few boats. The price was very attractive on the Striper, I also saw that they are now equipped with Yamahas. I'm also looking at some CC (20-23ft). Noticed Parker,Pro-line, and Sea-Pro. Seem to be the only quality CC close to my price range. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Johnny B

I own a 2000 S/S W/A that I purchased from Great Oak Marina in that year. I mostly fish the bay and occassionaly head outside to a max of 3 miles. The boat is definitely a delight. I also did research before buying and no one gave me the bang for the buck that Great Oak gave me. I have a hard top, and it is the last year they built them without the intergrated platform. The 2001 has the platform and I can tell you that I am glad that I bought mine in 2000. Don't like the set up in that new model. Rather have my livewell under the seat than in the integrated transom. I really enjoy this boat and had just one minor problem with one of my carbs with the float sticking. Other than that it has been a great investment as far as I am concerned. And as stated by others the people at Great Oak have been a pleasure to deal with. Good Luck in your search

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a Johnson 130 on mine so my range will be a little different from your. My tank hold 63 Gallons. As I stated in my post, I have gone as far as 15 Miles from the Jones Inlet Bouy trolling for Mahi, Tuna, whatever. I usually will troll for about three to four hours. Doing that I have used about a half a tank of gas. My guess is that you could do about 40 miles in and out with a couple of hours spent trolling and still be ok. I really hesitated to go that far with a 21ft boat, so 15 is about the most I will go. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rule #1, don't believe the salesman. Do your own research. Look at the Hydra-Sports, I think you get a better boat for the same money and I think they did away with any wood. At one time they were part of the OMC line along with the Striper boats.
The Sea-Cilian

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Chris Craft, Hydro Sport, 4 Winns, Sea swirll and 1 other where part of OMC. Out of the 5 only 4 Winns and Seaswirll were profitable.
I was still doing the shows at for Great Oak when we got the news 2 weeks before Chrismas and 4 weeks before the NYC show. We got our brains beat out at that show as everyone became an expert on Chapter 11. It got to the point where some people had to be asked to leave the booth because of there nasty attitude. Naturally they were half in a bag and knew everything.
We had weekly meetings to discuss the Ch. 11 problem, but as always bad news still travels fast. All the people who had something negitive to say where asked to put a credit application in so we could get them approved for a boat. 99% of them walked away. I wonder how many had enough credit to buy a boat.
We still sold 18 boats with all the bad news.
Guess some people had some sort of faith in the boat. By the way Great Oak is the # 1 dealer in the country.
Even though I don't agree with what S/S did with there design it doesn't mean that I lost repect for wht the people of Great Oak have done for 3 generations. I would like to see how many other dealers can boast that!
bcmeyer

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I said I'm in no rush and dont plan to buy this season. Boat caught my eye because of the Yasmahas and price. Salesman was just trying to sell and I new he was gonna say what I wanted to hear. I'm going to do some more research and talk to more people. Thanks for all the replies and info, especially from the guys who own Stripers themselves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.