NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to fish but often have to drug myself up before going out in the ocean. Dramamine does the trick most of the time but I am usually very tired after about7 hours (not good for offshore trips). Anyway...Just came back from the boat show and met a guy selling a product called Motion Eaze. He told me its all natural oil that you put behind your ear, and it will even cure symptoms after getting sick (Theres really nothing on the market that will do that). I would like to know if any of you guys have heard of or tried this stuff before.
I may sound like a wimp but I have no choice...unfortunatley I sometimes get sick on the sea but its worth it for fishing.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Johnny,
I too was a victim of sea sickness,I used to get sick about 50% of the time whenever I would clear the inlet.Never could get used to it and I also love fishing.I tried everything out there,and some things worked some times.About 4 years ago a girl in my boatyard that worked for a doctor told me to take Bonine.I used to take it in the morning before I got on the boat and it would work sometimes,but she said take it at night before you go to bed.I haven't been sick in 4 seasons,that includes sharking in 5-7's and dishing out the chum.Give it a try.Its sold in the drug store right next to Dramamine and it don't make you tired.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

This message was edited by B.Attitude on 1-6-02 @ 9:05 PM

·
Registered
40 Posts
Johnny B,
I will have to get in line behind you guys,my love for fishing overpowers my displeasure of getting sea sick.I have to pick my days and can't go out if it's to bad(for me).The product B.Attitude mentioned is made by Pfizer,how many do you take the night before and do you take anymore while your fishing?I have been told that Ginger is also suposed to work. When you have a problem like so many of us, we will try anything rather then sell our boat.Johnny have you got the address or website for the Motion Eaze,if so I would to send for some. Thanks for the info.

This message was edited by Frank 46 on 1-7-02 @ 12:39 PM

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Its a pill,and I take one at nightbut you can take another in the morning if you feel that it is necessary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Johnny,
I also use Bonine and it works for me. I usualy take 2 and they don'tmake you drowsy, especially for the drive home. I fish Montauk alot and the drive home use to be tough. Ginger in the chewable form helps when you are already sick, can be found in health food stores. Keep on going and I hope it works out it did for me.
Lou

fishon

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank 46, you said it, I will try anything. I love fishing but when we head into the ocean Its usually on my mind for the first few hours until I get my "sea legs". I'm def. going to try Bonine,Most of the time with Dram I cant keep my eyes open until the fish start hitting. Heres the website www.motioneaze.com The # is (888) 212-5503 It costs around $16

·
Registered
40 Posts
Johnny,
Thanks for the info on the web site,brought it up and sounds interesting.With a money back guarantee they must feel it really works.Wonder if it works when I get sick of my mother in law?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My one buddies gets sea sick alot. He tried alot of different over the counter stuff, but now relies on one of those bands you wear. I cant remember the name but I saw a couple different brands that market the drug-alternative "cure" to seasickness. I think it works on pressure points kinda like accupuncture. Well it works for him and there's NO drowsiness what-so-ever. Ya might want to check that out as well.
And remember bannanas...they taste the same going down as they do coming back up ;)

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Years ago on a cod trip out of Montauk they worked for me too,until the guy next to me let loose.Then I was pushing on those buttons to no avail.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent tried the bans yet, I usually go with Dramamine and Ginger. It worked fine until the last trip of the year, I chummed a few times and then felt fine,decent size swells that day but nothing major at all. The dramamine really knocks me out though, will def. try new things like bonine,motion eaze this season.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My experience says Bonine is better than dramamine because of the drowsiness factor. I got the accupucture wrist bands as a give a few years back but they are hard to keep in the proper place in the winter because your sleeves move them when you are fishing. Rolaids or Tums help when you are on the boat to help settle your stomach if you had a big breakfast and coffee.

G

·
No one has mentioned "Transderm Scop" patches. You get a prescription from your doctor.
You can get them in Canada with no prescription.

Maury "Raven"

This message was edited by Raven on 1-9-02 @ 2:24 PM

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I heard the patch is just about full-proof. I know they discontinued it for a while and I hear no you can get get it again (prescription only). Have never tried it but hear its great. I would probably try it doing an overnighter or something but as far as running a few miles out for fluke I want to be able to pop a quick pill.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've been out codfishing when it was rough and seen guys with the patch hurling their guts over board. :( I've been sick myself after taking dramamine. The only thing that I've found that helps (besides pills, patches, etc.) is to keep some food in your stomach, and ginger ale always seems to help also. If you up-chuck whatever was in your stomach, you have to force yourself to eat something. Whatever you do, try to stay outside of the cabin, and also stay away from engine fumes...especially deisel.
~have fun~ ;)

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys I'm with you. I have a prescription for transderm scop patch and it works pretty good. I've tried Dramamine, Bonine and the wrist bands. Of all the over the counter stuff, the Bonine worked better. Has a minty taste while hurling :)

Try the transderm patch it works for me.

FV Moody Blues

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
A few years ago my friends and I were trolling along the beach for bass in some snotty water.They were using the patches behind the ears,I had the Bonine.I was steering from inside my cabin and happened to turn around to find two rods were down and the two guys were out cold.I woke them up and we landed the fish.I believe they also can make you tired.Listen to me....Try the Bonine the night before,trust me.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Over the years I realized that the only time I ever got seasick was on someone elses boat. I never got sick on my own no matter how horrible the conditions were. Logical conclusion seasickness 10% physical 90% psycological. I did a little research and found out that when the inner ear gets one signal and the eyes get another the result is nausia. when you are in a boat you are looking at a stable environment but your inner ear balance organ tells you the world is in motion. What your brain is seeking is truth. I go to a place in the boat, usually the bridge where I can stare at the horizon, which never moves. After about 20 minutes the brain sorts things out and the nausia goes away. It works for me most of the time. I have to say that on a cod boat in January with half the fares callin for O'rourk its a stretch. When you are running the boat you are to occupied to get seasick.

G

·
I bought a prototype of one of these

http://www.reliefband.com/

back when they cost twice as much & were only available by doctors prescription. They are now available over the counter.
While I dont think they work that great to PREVENT Seasickness
(I dont like to run mine all the time) they help to stabilise someone if they DO get seasick.

Maury

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sea-Sickness is definitley part psychological. When you think about it thats when it can hit you. For the first 2 hours I stay low, look at the horizon and I dont stare at objects close to me. Once I have my sea legs and I stop thinking about getting sick I'm set. If it doesnt happen within the first 2 hours it wont happen to me at all. This is also with me doped up on Dramamine of course.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.