NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about the abundance of Sea Robins, I thought I would try a little experiment this summer. We all know that the meat on the tails/bellies of sea robins can be excellent Fluke bait. But what about using it as bait for other species?

Just a hunch, but I bet sea robin meat would be excellent for chunking blues, bass & tuna. What about cutting it into tiny strips and using it for porgies & sea bass? There's no doubt it would work in crab traps and killie traps.

I thought it would be a fun challenge to see how many different species I can catch on this "trash" fish. The skin is like leather. I bet without the meat, it would make a fine alternative to pork grind. With a little help from some food dye and salt perservative, I bet sea robin strips would look wild in red, hot pink, green, yellow, etc...

This could turn into material for my next book;

101 USES FOR SEA ROBINS!

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I too have thought about chunking sea robin. Probably would take blues (they aren't that picky). Maybe bass. Probably a small live one would be better.

Let us know the results.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Just read a George Scocca post on that mega " commerical bashing thread"

Where he stated the 3 bass he brought home last week all had sea robins in thier bellys.
Good idea to try for a bass with them, maybe get a cow!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.