NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with Sea Pro looking at their center console modles 17'or 19' the standard equipment listed is almost exactly the same as Pro Line is their a connection between the two.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Sea Pro is a different company than Pro-Line. My father (Spygull) just bought the SV2100 this past Spring. This is an excellent boat, and was the best value for the money. It has a great layout: tons of storage, two large livewells, fore and aft casting decks, very light for its size (1600pounds:21.5 feet), does 45 mph with a 135 Yamaha, economical to operate and is very dry for a low sided center console. Look for a good deal at the Javits Center boat show.

Rich Johnson (from the fishing line tv show)also bought one this year. You can check out video and his review of the boat at his website, www.thefishingline.com

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
O.K.

That would make sense. Well, we are very happy with ours and we don't have to please any sponsors. You still might consider checking his video clips about the boat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thks,for the response I've never had a CC before always much larger cabin style boats. The Sea Pro 17' comes with a 70HP Johnson I am not really concerned with getting a go fast, but I don't want to be underpowered either. The 17 is listed as 950LBS I've been told that I could expect 30MPH as a cruse speed. Does that sound about right.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
That is what our cruising speed is with the 130. With the smaller boat, I wouldn't doubt it with the 70.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a Sea Pro 21' walk around that I bought new in 2000. I have a 175 Johnson and the boat moves very well when the engine is properly trimmed. Sea Pro is an excellent value. I paid under $30,000, including the trailer and tax. The storage is great and the livewells and insulated boxes work very well. Sea Pro has a tough hull. I used mine extensivley in the ocean and the bay. It can handle the rough chop. Sea Pro does not compromise the quality of the hull (for instance they have all fiberglass stringers) However, Sea Pro keeps its price down by equiping their boats with cheap canvas and cheap handles for the bait boxes, etc. Handle with care whenever opening an electronics box or fishbox. I was rough with mine and broke three handles. The dealer replaced the handles under the warranty and refitted them with stainless steel pins. You will get wet in any center console. The ride in the Sea Pro center console should be smooth as compared with walk arounds because the helm is just past the plaining angle for less bounce.

Good luck

·
Registered
783 Posts
In May 99 we bought the 180DC with a 90 Yamaha and trlr. Huntington's Glenn Marine's Glenn Mazzella and Phil Marsala must have taken lessons at Saturn (or maybe they gave them!)as you feel like family even for a rig that went just 18K. A full 3 or 4K under a comparable Sea Ray DC and I do mean comparable. Wife loves the cushioned open bow (although my rod holder I installed just ahead of the passnger's helm cabinet became an umbrella holder. I get max of 35mph and cruises at mid 20s or so. I can go out the inlet (I watch the forecast!) from Massapequa, fish around a bit etc. on 6 or 7 gallons of gas. Problems? I did break the plastic pin latch for the anchor locker, live well occasionally has vapor lock and won't "squirt", and the electric horn has fizzled. Came with 10 rodholders, FULL safety outfit, ample and practically spaced storage and I felt like Bill Dance while light tackle weakfishin in the back bays. I had a Renken in the 70s and 80s. Only really good thing about that Renken was the price. I wholeheartedly recommend the Sea Pro for a best buy, and think the world of Glenn Marine. (Hope they see this.)
Art

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Access,

If the price for the two is similar, I would go with Proline but I am kinda bias since I have the 17' cc. The dry wt of mine is 1450 for my 17' and I think the new ones are around 1500. Things to look for between the boats when I was comparing.

1) Height at back of boat from you feet to the top of the side (same for front). High sides are important for me.

2) Thickness and makup of hull (chop glass vs hand laid or a combo)

3) All stainless or chrome brass fixtures (no zamack)

4) fully finished interior (sides inside come down to the deck inside the boat).

5) Capacity (per CG sticker) and max HP

6) fuel tank (size and material)

7) warrenty (how long and transferable).

8) Built in fish boxes and stowage (capacity).

9) actual size (some measurements are rounded up or down by manu)

and many others things then just what is listed in the sales catalog.

It all depends on your budget, what you are looking for and the use.

everyone has their favorites. I have a proline but the grady white cc's are real sweet but too much $$ for me.

Capt. Marc

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Check out "sea Chaser" line from carolina skiff, looks like a great value for the buck, and the ride is great, you can pick up an 18' with a 90 hp for around 14000.
v-hull design not flat bottom.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, looks like the 17'cc Sea Pro fits my needs and most inportant budget.
Taking the bride with me to Javits next week so I don't loose control!!!

Happy New Year to all :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
mattyblazer & everyone,

Carolina Skiffs are pretty good boats. The skiff models are tough as heck, wont sink but are light rolled hull boats. Storage is a pain in the ass and they aint the prettiest.
I had 2 semi v's in the last 5 years or so bought new. I became friends with " the boys @ the yard" and have a masters degree in Carolina Skiff so to speak.
The original Seachasers {the cheaper models} are rolled hull v bottom VERY light boats. The 17' is like 650 lbs. 18' 750 lbs. & 21' is 1150 lbs. something like that. This is insanely light for a v hull.
Those boats are cheap {inexpenseve} and are tough boats but when you take light skiff technology and apply it to a v hull youve got a wobbly unstabe light boat that might be ok for the bay but Many people were unhappy after buying this model, kinda of a scary boat if you ask me.
Now; C.Skiff came out with an Offshore series that are really sweet. Theres a 21 that is beamy solid, wood free and priced right, also a " Bay boat series thats excellent, theyre fully lined heavier boats built really well with a great v hull design { been out on the 22} also the Sea Cat got great reviews but Ive never been on one nor seen one. I took my semi v198 model pre-rigged with a 90 to cholera as far west as Debs { from JI} and east as F.I. But I wouldnt take a 17 as far as a 17 B.Whaler montuak because its really too light with its rolled hull.
You kinda gotta be careful with these boats , make great clamboats, workboats, ect..
Another good thing about these boat is you can set up a 50 hp tiller motor on a 17' semi v hull lets say for around $ 6 K new and you have something that will get you out there to enjoy the fishing and last for years, rinse it off and your done. later.
Alan

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I just test drove an 18' sea chaser with a 70 yamaha, the model is 186. The boat felt stable and quick, decent fuel cap and live well and ok storage, they claim wood free construction you can see it on the web site. I just bought the 220 with a 135 johnson, it has fish wells 2 bait wells and dual batteries, Bob from "the mooring" uses the same model and says its his favorite so far. center console it seems like a total no nonsense fishing boat, and if the waves are too big I will stay in the bay, but it seems like if you can hang on it will float. I saw pictures of the 186 cut into 3 peices with 6 guys floating! In any case the sea pro is great for the money, and the pro line has a great name too.

No matter what you decide to buy talk to someone who owns one first, if you cant test it out!
Good luck
Matt

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
That 220 { 22'} bay boat is a nice boat , well made, fully lined hull , nice storage and more. Those models are the newer of the seachaser line done right. I bet that boat will last you many many years, also read some good articles on that boat in mags. and on the web.
Mattyblazer, did you buy bobs demo????
Alan

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Yes, the price was right. I already have 2 boats and I was picking up a trailer that I bought which was in storage there, and asked just to make conversation and one thing led to another. Bob has some great info, and he treats me Very well.

This message was edited by mattyblazer on 12-30-01 @ 9:38 PM

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I was considering buying it also, as matter o fact the pre-rigged v198 I had was his last demo. I helped rig it and knew its history well as I docked a 16 CS there at the time. Your 22 is basicly just broken in with well under 100 hrs. A new boat. I love the hull on those bay boats, real sharp chines and deadrise, they cut through a chop real well. Im considering the 19 which is the same specs as yours except just shorter. She'd be sweet with a 150 yammie.
Enjoy it & see you out there,
Alan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.