NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glenn Marine

Dont do it. Bought new boat from Glenn and nothing but trouble was worst dealer ever dealt with. I had nothing but trouble and once deal was closed even though I was docking my boat at the Huntington dealer he was terrible. Heard this from several other people. Ask around the yards and docks in huntington his reputation is bad. wish I had done my homework prior to purchase.

·
Registered
529 Posts
While I was looking and shopping for a new boat I went to Glenn marine in Huntington to look at the edgewater and seapro's, Even if he had the boat I wanted I wouldn't have given them the sale, They were the least knowledgeable and rudest sales people I have met. I knew more about their boats then they did.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I regretably have to agree with the negative comments about Glenn Marine. The guy is busy. I bought a SeaPro there in 2000. However, I really have to say that after the problems were worked out, I like the boat. I have a 21 walk around. Compared to Striper and Key West and Trophy, my ****pit is much larger and the boat is generally a decent hull. I mean the boat is not a Regulator or a Contender, but it is seaworthy.
I think Glenn gets to busy. I had a balance problem with my boat. I needed balasts installed in the stern. I had to wait until the winter to have Glenn do the work. All the work was covered by the warranty. The same with my engine. Whenever I needed warranty work I had to wait weeks to get it done.
But, they did the work and everything now is fine. I would not recomend them but I don't know if my experience would have been the same with another busy dealer. I will never buy a new boat again. The economics make no sense. I will buy a bigger boat but will not ever buy a new hull again. The way to go is used hull, new power.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wow. After a very good experience with Glenn Marine, I was surprised that so many had a different one. I have said it before on this website, I felt like I had walked into a Saturn dealership, even AFTER they had my bucks. I went out of necessity small, getting a good value on the 1999 Sea Pro 180DC. Saw them at the Coliseum and they recognized me and came over to say hi, despite being swamped (no pun intended) with buyers and lookers. Also quite satisfied with my boat. sorry about those rotten experiences, mine just wasn't one of them.
Art J

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will say this: Vinny and Jimmy are excellent mechanics. In fact, one time when my engine kept stalling, Jimmy took a ride on the boat with me to try to figure out the problem. He was with me for about 2 hours in the Sound and ofcourse the problem did not appear. Sooo, they did take the time with me and did try to help. My feeling is that I paid $30,000 for the boat. That was hard earned money and I want to feel that they appreciate the amount of money that I spent. The bottom line is that they eventually satisfied me. In fact, all my winterization is done there. As far as Sepro goes, I don't think there's a better fishing boat for the money. Tons of storage, reasonably dry and a decent ride on the chop.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Fished quite a few times aboard a 25'Seapro, catches wind like a sail, and never made it through Jones inlet without getting the crap beat out of me. I would have a differing oppinion regarding the boats ability to work well in a chop!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brother in law bought new 21 Sea Pro WA from Glenn Marine and have to agree, dealer leaves alot to be desired. Had alot of trouble and headaches with owner Glenn ended up going to another boat yard and paying for repairs even though boat was under warranty. In addition fished on boat over 50 plus times and the ride is poor in a chop just doesnt cut the water. Boat also has a tendancy to porpoise unless over compensated for with trim tabs. Another dealer said the hull may have been removed from mold before it fully cured and it warped as it hardened outside the mold. Sometimes happens when they are rushing to manufacture boats. My advice find another dealer. Boat has many nice features for price but you sacrafice too much in the ride and handling. I have a Donzi 24 WA and the Sea Pro doesnt even come close.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
In that price range you should go and look at the SeaSwirl Striper 2101 again. The Striper has a 20 degree deadrise and weighs 3,150 vs. the SeaPro's 18 degree deadrise and 2600lbs.

Also, if you have kids or plan to bring kids fishing, the Striper is much safer for children because it has a deeper ****pit and more side padding. You will find that both won't match the ride of a heaver (and much more costly) Mako or Grady White. However, the SeaPro truly feels like a toy how it easily gets bounced around out in the chop.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
A note about Deadrise

I forgot to add this...

The acceptable definition of a "Deep V" hull is one with 19 or more degrees of deadrise.

Anything less than 19 degrees is considered a "Modified V".

There are advantages and disadvantages of both. Deep Vees cut through waves more easily. But they tend to have a deeper draft.

The type of hull that is right for you depends upon where you intend to fish and where you intend to travel with the new boat. Most Long Islanders tend to favor deep V's except for those who do frequent fishing on the flats.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know if the complaints on Sea Pro are fair. The problems I had were corrected. It is a leap to say that there is no comparison between Striper and Sea Pro. They are in the same class. Sea Pro is more geared toward fishing. The ****pit in my 21 Wa is huge compared to the crowded and cramped ****pit of the 21 Striper. My boat porposed but that problem was cured after the ballasts were installed. I mean really is anyone going to suggest that Sea Pro or Striper or Trophy or Pro Sport are in the same class as the older Makos, Parker, Contenders or Regulators. Those of us who own price built boats should be honest and suggest to anyone looking at boats in our class to go for a used Mako or Grady or Hydrasports. Give me a break. A Striper put side by side with a Hydrasport? I don't think so. Deadrise or no deadrise.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I bought a SV2100 From Glenn last year, Love the boat But I had to bring it back for a couple of minor warrantee items. When they were done I was presented with a 40 dollar charge. I asked since when does Seaa pro charge to repair a defect and was told that Glenn Marine has a charge to do warrantee work. I would suggest that you clarify that point before commiting to a purchase. Thats the kind of cheap tactic I would expect from a used car dealer not a boat dealership.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Raymond,

I think you need to read the posts again.

Who said that there was no comparision between the Striper and the Sea Pro?

Who said that they were in the same class as an older Hydrasports, Mako, etc...?

When you looked at the ****pit of the Striper, did you care to notice that the two rear seats are jumpseats that that are only attached with velcro? Remove the seats and the ****pit is identical to the SeaPro. The cabin on the Striper is also larger and has more headroom.

But none of that matters because if you look at the original question, Rehookdup was asking advice about the CC model, not the Walkaround Cuddy.

Anyone who tests both boats on the water will clearly feel that the additional weight and the Deep-V hull in the Striper CC model makes a huge difference in the ride compared to the SeaPro CC model. Both boats are indeed in the same class. But the SeaSwirl Striper rides so much nicer in the chop.

It all goes back to the question, what will this boat be used for and where will it be used??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still waiting for 220cc sea pro

in response boat will be used at jersey coast, out of barnegat, fish from april to december usually. this year is a big flop so far . ordered the boat back in january, still no boat . an yone one with other recomendations for a better dealer and a better boat will be appreciated. considering a c-hawk235cc. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
other boat reco's

plan to venture outside, of course, been running, barnegat inlet for a good 25+ years, most recent boat in water was 19 grady tournament, the new boat is to replace this, and have been 20+ miles out, i am hoping to run @35 miles on nice days to do some sharking. but we'll see how this pans out. hey, if anyone needs an extra on a trip let me know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bought a 17' cc 2001 sea pro from glenn marine. i had first made a deal for another boat from different dealer. some of the items that i VERY carefully explained that were included in my original deal turned out to be 'extras' AFTER...repeat...AFTER the boat was delivered. things like a simple uscg package. and the boat was delivered close to a month after it was promised. i am waiting more than two weeks now for warranty service. as far as the boat is concerned, it's a good fishing boat for me. i like fishing the flats and stuff. in any kind of big water the boat rides pretty rough and wet. it is quite seaworthy though. it has great features for fishing. if you want to fish inshore spots like the gsb or north shore harbors, it's a great boat. on nice days a venture out in the ocean is not out of the question. be careful dealing with glenn marine. make sure you get EVERYTHING down on your contract or you'll get what i got. empty promises and assurance that it will be 'no problem' to honor your requests. then when you get delivery (late) you'll get NOTHING!

·
Registered
644 Posts
23.5 is the magic number

the magic number for the deadrise is 23.5 degrees in the stern, any less and the boat will pound.
try a boat with a 19-22 degree deadrise, then go out in the same conditions with a 23.5 and you will be amazed at the difference. ride a contender(23.5) and you will learn.

when it comes to modified V hulls, they basically all ride the same, some are wetter than other and some pound more than others, BUT THEY ALL POUND !
NO AVOIDING POUNDING WITH A MODIFIED V

if i had to accept a modified V hull, i would look for a dry riding boat, and one with good deck layout.

here is an idea, check out carolina skiffs, for inshore fishing they are hard to beat. MAXIMUM deck space available on a boat of the same size and your motor can be of a smaller horse power.
i just got the 2480 DLX with a 115hp yamaha 4 stroke.
ran the boat in bad weather against my friends 19 mako, 22 mako, and 21 proline. the carolina outrode all of them in a 2 foot chop. the other boats pounded their way through, where the carolina just got up on top of the waves and flew across them, everyone was impressed with the performance. i was running at 45 mph across the tops of the waves, where as the other boats were pounding THROUGH the waves at 15-20 mph or less.

if the waves or chop are close together the carolina will just get on top and run, if you have a large swell then the carolina will have to slow way down because it will not be able to span the waves properly. in this area you would need atleast a 19 foot carolina , a 21 foot would ride better.
take one for a test drive on a snotty day, dont be afraid to run it fast, you will be very surpised how well they ride. plus once you get there, the caolina provides the most stable platform to fish from (flat bottom).
again this is a bay and near shore boat, it is not meant to run 17 fathoms with. (on a nice day you can)

ps, avoid the carolina skiff V series, they are wet boats except for the 23V, the choices in order are 2480DLX, 2180DLX, 2380V or 1980DLX. i would try to go atleast 21 feet with boat to get the best possible ride.

pps. the 4 stroke is SO quite, the wind whistling through the fishing rods makes more noise than the motor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.