NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a sea anchor for stemming the drift when fluking on windy days. I have a 17ft center console and I fish in western LI sound. Is this too risky for a boat my size? If not, any recommendations on brand and size of anchor for a 17ft boat? I've seen people using them and they sure seem to work well.

MC

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I got one a few years ago at a garage sale and it works great. We used to use it on a 16 foot semidory and now on a 21 foot cc. It's not risky at all. We use it to slow a drift as well as to straighten out the lay of the boat on a windy day while anchored.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
I've seen something I believe is called a drift sock (?) in Cabela's. Looks like cloth parachute type of set-up. Don't know anyone who's used one - but that's what it's made for - to slow the drift without actually placing an anchor on the bottom.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
www.cabela.com

You can request a catolgue - usually arrives in about 5 days. Pretty good prices.

You can either order through the site or from the catolgue.

This message was edited by wader on 2-22-02 @ 9:22 AM

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use a sea anchor all the time for fluke drifting in west LI sound.I have a 18 foot cc and when wind is against tide the sea anchor works great.West marine has 2 in their catalog,cost $35. for adequate one.Hook it to the bow cleat with trip line tied to center for retrieval.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I bought Cabela's "sock" last year and feel it works great, definitely allowed me to catch an extra 20 shorts each windy day. :) I have a Sea Pro 180 DC, which is admittedly a light boat, but I used the smaller size sock and fished most of the time alone, without snagging on the sock, etc. Bought the polypropolene line and snap for the sock that they sell too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. I checked Cabelas and they have a decent selection. I couldn't find anything on Capt Harry's website. Cabelas is suggesting a drift sock that is 20in. in diameter. Do I really need to go larger with a 17ft CC? I'm fishing 25ft depths and under in the Sound, not the open ocean. Is there any additional equipment I need to buy other than the sock itself and line? I'm looking for something that is both effective and easy to pull out of the water if I'm drifting shorter stretches.

MC

This message was edited by PorgyMan on 2-24-02 @ 7:31 PM

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could call capt harry's. I didn't see it on line either. They sell the 48" sea anchor for 35.00. This is where I got mine. I would take the advise from the guys who are using them like myself and capt Marc. 20" Sea anchor is like throwing your wifes/girl friends panty hose out there. It will do next to nothing. My 48" works fairly well but like I said earlier, there are times I wish I had a bigger diameter anchor. Capt Marc and I Cod fish within talking distance of each other. We get to see how the 2 different sizes work. My boat is a 22' and Capt Marc's a 17'. My 48" slows me down about the same as Marc's but I have more on the water for the wind to grab. You may regret the smaller size. The 48" folds down to a small package including the rope.

FV Moody Blues

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Moodyblues - I'll take your advice. I ordered the Capt Harry's catalog. I didn't see the larger sizes in Cabelas. Is there anything additional that I need to purchase other than the anchor or is everything included? Thanks again.

MC

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
PorgyMan,

The only other thing you may want is one of those stainless steel rotating double eyes (like a Giant swevel) the anchors sometimes spiral and that makes them less effective. I also bought some 3/8" poly yellow (easy to see and floats) rope. The thing is real easy to use. Just attach to a cleat and toss over. Make a splice or a knot in the end of the rope that will fit easily over a cleat and I attach a old small dock float to one end just in case I lose it over the side so it will float. There is a trip rope to easily dump the water so you can haul it in. with buckets you will have a pain bringing it in all the time expecially if you move around a lot.

bcmeyer

I would get the 48" (I think the largest Capt. Harrys sells) and see how that goes. You can always use two at the same time if one isn't enough. The larger ones cost $$$.

Capt. Marc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.