NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have never tried them

BUT my 8 y/o daughter is a champ at catching these things and I have recently heard they make a good striper bait, so this year when they are around we will be giving them a try. When they are around you can grab them as the waves recedes you'll see them pop out of the sand but ya gotta be real quick!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just got back from Miami Beach, Fla-caught 6 pompano on sand fleas. I tried digging for them like the kids do at the beach in Long Beach but didn't find one. Had to buy them from the local fisherman on the jetty. I'm going to try them on bass this year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
you guys are confused

you guys are confusing sand fleas, which are those tiny whitish grey jumping thingies that hang around seaweed clumps on the beach and mole crabs (atlantic sand crabs) which are those beetle looking 1" long beige/grey crabs that burrow into the sand.

FOR THE RECORD:

Atlantic Mole Crab
Emerita talpoida

Description 1" (25 mm) long, 3/4" (19 mm) wide. Egg-shaped. Pale grayish-tan. Carapace convex, crosswise-creased line immediately behind beak, another curved one farther back; rear end of carapace smooth. 1st pair of antennae hairy; 2nd pair of antennae long, feathery, usually concealed under edge of carapace. Eyestalks long, slender. 1st pair of walking legs broad, sturdy, without pincers; 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pair less sturdy, leaflike; 5th pair very slender. Abdomen broad at front, tapering rapidly, with pair of forked, leaflike appendages, and long, spearhead-shaped tailpiece on last segment, bent forward underneath body.

Habitat On open sandy beaches; between high- and low-tide lines.

Range Cape Cod to Florida and Texas; Mexico.

Discussion This species is commonly used for bait, and can be collected in large numbers by attaching a wire mesh net to a common garden rake, and then raking the wave-swept beach.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How do you hook "Mole crabs"

I read a book about surf fishing ("Surf Fishing the Atlantic Coast") and the author mentioned using them, but I don't think I am hoooking them right b/c they fall apart. Should I thread several on a hook like worms?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.