NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 9-day on the Royal Star. Great trip, caught a 77# YFT on 60# setup and a 55# on 40# tackle. Limits on YFT and yellowtail (a nice 30# fish, too) with a few dorado, grouper and wahoo.

I'd recommend this trip for anyone that likes a good adventure, good food and good company; nothing like it anywhere else!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was one of the premium boats, the Royal Star, which works out to $230/day (my 9 day worked out to be $2150). Other boats will get you just under the $200/day mark.

BTW, most vacations to the waters around Baja will run you more than $200/day for your room and eats. IMO, it's a bargain.

Jaiem is talking about the dream trip for cow tuna over 200#, which run $3-5K (that's a 16-day trip). Don't confuse them with trips 3-10 days; they're very different creatures.

I tend to go basement bargain myself and use frequent flyer miles to get to SD from Newark.

Tackle can be rented or if you go on the premium boats they'll lend them gratis.

Processing your fish runs about $.50/lb to vacuum seal you catch in heavy poly; the meat lasts well over a year this way. Roughly $150 to send about 200# fish to LGA. You can also donate your catch to a hunger charity for a tax write off or to another charity that feeds the workers at ground zero. All of these options are handled by a fish processing company , Sportsmen's Seafood.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J.,
That's an excellent rate. How'd you get a panga for less than $125? That was the bottom price I found a few years ago (looked at Rancho Leonoro, Punta Pescadero), but the boat was pretty beat up and not very safe-looking.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spent 4 days at Punta Pescador, great light tackle fishing and the panga captain was very, very hard working, got us into fish even when fishing was slow for their standards.

There were some freelance pangeros for around $100 but I'm kind of a safety freak around boats and they weren't too inspiring.

Thanks for the trip report (pictures, pictures, pictures, take more!). I'll have to check out the East Cape again, it's been too long.

Thanks,
Patrick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.