NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to fly fishing and would like to set my self up with a decent beginner outfit. I live on long island where the salt water fly fishing opportunities are endless but I also do a lot of traveling to up state NJ. So i'm looking for the impossible. A decent set up that can handle the rigors of light/medium saltwater fishing and not be to over bearing for the occasional lake and river of NJ. Cost is an issue, i'm trying to go broke. I've been doing some homework and stumbled upon a Teton Tioga reel outfit the would fit my purposes as a beginner and offer growth as i get better. I'm just not sure what size/wt. to narrow down on.
I'm thinking a 6/7 wt rod and reel, but am not sure if it will handle well on the windy shores of long island. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the full outfit i'm thinking of, its the Tioga outfit half way down the page.

http://www.flyangler.org/OUTFITS.htm

Again thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

I think a 6/7 would be a little light for saltwater, but that depends what you are after. If you are going to fish the back bays and chase schoolies it may work.

If you want to get in to bigger fish the rod will not have the backbone you need to land the fish. The reel on the outfit you are looking at may not have a drag good to handle the run you may encounter.

It is hard to do it all with one setup. If you give it a try and like it I am sure you will buy a rod for both your needs

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I agree.

Most saltwater fly anglers in our area use a 9 or 10wt rod. The heavier outfit will also help you learn to cast better and handle the larger, heavier flies typically used in saltwater flyfishing.

Click Here for a good article that discusses getting started in saltwater fly fishing.

Good luck!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.