NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a twenty-three ft hydrasport with a single 200hp engine . Fuel tank holds 105 gals. How far would you take it offshore for I would like to get into some mahi or tuna fishing from the sandy hook area. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
as long as you're thinking about it, it would be it'd be a wise investment to purchase a 9.9 or 15 hp "kicker" in case the main motor sucks something up or hits a submerged object in the water. why? its happened to me twice! the little motor that would, could! and saved me from a long, lonley and near panac state many,many times! just a thought...

G

·
I have done many 30 plus mile trips out to the
sharking grounds with my 23 mako center console, which held 160 gallons of fuel.I considered two things carefully. The weather and wind. I used every possible information source for wave height off shore ,wind, and barometer change. I trusted my equiptment,and have good electronics.I have never had a problem, and always used percaution and commom sense. True, mechanical failures and accidents happen. A back up power source is a good idea. If you know your equiptment is in perfect condition, and know your limitations,venture as far as you are comfortable with, and good luck this season.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Reguards to the kicker alternative power source-Sea tow charges $95.00 a year for free towing as many times as needed, plus free soft ungrounding, jump starts, etc. By the time you buy a kicker, bracket, winterize it, etc. I believe you would find a tow service much cheaper. Small outboards are not cheap-new and hard to find used. Think about it. If you spend $1000.00 on a kicker, thats 10yrs. of Sea Tow membership. Not pushing it but I have a kicker on my small boat and Sea Tow service for my 23'

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go to boatus, get thier ins,and unlimited towing is $95.00, plus you can get additional 7% off if you use the MC card.I was not able to get a better ins. rate, and if you go to a boatus fuel dock you get 5 cents a gal. off fuel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hipshot, I know of the sea-tow package for $95 but I dont know the details of it. It's def. a deal considering the cost of towing. What are there limits as far as going offshore to provide a tow? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe sea tow will come 20 miles out. Your best option is to head off shore with another boat. That way you can share fishing info and get a tow in a pinch. If you fish weekends you will have lots of company on the fishing grounds if you have trouble. A kicker is a great idea. A four stroke can be hooked up directly to your main fuel line since you dont need to mix any oil.
Tight lines, Jim

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Johnny B,
I questioned SeaTow about that. They stated Coast Guard would tow you in if you were further out and when they hit the 20 mile mark Sea Tow would Take over. They also will make fuel and oil drops. They have a website. www.seatow.com!

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
What I did to get some extra distance being I only have 94 gals under the deck for my 200hp outboard is I strapped down a tempo 19 gal tank on each side of my transom.They fit right under my gunnel.They are tapped right into my gas filter,so at the switch of the 3 way valve I have an extra 38 gals of gas available.I don't really need it for sharking but when trolling for tuna you can eat up alot of fuel.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
134 Posts
My advise---Don't push the limits,use common sense, you will know when to turn around. Never forget the 1/3 rule! At a long distance, put the radio on WX alert/scan.

GO EAGLES!!!!

This message was edited by NANSEA11 on 1-27-02 @ 5:09 PM

·
Registered
174 Posts
FYI- Coast Guard has no obligation to tow anyone in. They will respond only if there is an emergency. They will issue a MARB (Marine Assistance Radio Broadcast) and have a commercial service come get you at your cost. Be prepared to wait many hours- also have a sea anchor or anchor with sufficient line (5:1) in the event the weather kicks up.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It is my belief that if you're going offshore you should not skimp. A grand or more on a kicker sounds like a lot, but the 1st or 2nd time it brings you back, you'll be one happy boater. I have never dealt with towing services (other than the USCG years ago), but my questions to the ones who rely on these services are:
What do you do if your problem is battery related?
How do you call Sea Tow or some other company your VHF?
And don't think power problems don't happen. Remember that backup 5w handhelds are not very rangy offshore. Offshore fishing is not a poor man's activity. If you want to play, you've gotta pay.

Capt. Jerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.