NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I made a couple of quick laps around the NY boat show and one of the things that caught my eye was the lack of traditional rub rails over the hull/topside connections. For example: Regulator uses some kind of shiny lightweight metal strips w/ screws, all of which protrude out and are the widest point on the boat. I understand most dont go out on the water with the intention of playing bumperboat w/ others or their docks, but sheesh $175,000.00 for a rig that scrapes,rips,and gouges all that it comes in contact with...what am I missing? Please note I use Regulator as an example only as I have an imaginary one tied to my imaginary key west dock.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Rub rails

If you look at the picture i put here (courtesy of "canyonfisherman" )of Canyon runners 32 regulator you can see that there is a rub rail under the stainless, pretty standard imo. also in the pic of this 32 holland you can see that the stainless is sitting on a rubrail.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But why? I ran my hand down the entire side of that same CC and the stainless screws would be the first things that touched any outside object. Is this form preceding function? Maybe a not so well thought out solution to rope and ugly black rubber?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree completely. I also noticed that newer boats are lacking in the rub rail dept. I THINK that manufacturers are trying to streamline the appearance more. You know....do away with the thick ol' black rubber rails in search of a more "refined" look. I don't have any facts to back that statement up...just my opinion. But I hear ya...It does seem silly to invest a small fortune in a boat only to not have proper protection from rubbing on a dock or piling etc.

·
Registered
826 Posts
YOUR RIGHT BLUEFISH!

Real fisherman are not buying these boats due to this fact. No rub rails is for the look and the look only. If you go down to any carolina boat they all do not have them really because they want that special fancy flair just like everyone is doing now. If you look at any recently built boats they are all going with the carolina look. The carolina flare is like the new and upcoming ride which everyone is going after. I do not know why but they do..

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
They are guard rails, meant to protect the vessel the owner paid for, not someone else's. Yes, the screw heads should not be proud of the surface- not only will they scar other objects (Not a big concern to the builder), but they wll certainly grab in softer materials, especially wood, and run the risk of tearing out, thus damaging the vessel they should be protecting.

The purpose of the metal strip is to cushion any impact, as it will distribute the blow over a greater area. Metal strips also help a vessel to slide along a pile of other object, while rubber or other soft materials will tend to grab, stopping or twisting the vessel, and again loading one area of the rail.

Vessels that truly need a guard rail are best served w/ a metal strip on the outside to increase longevity. In fact, some vessels that really test their rails have a double strip, which serves as the ultimate distribution of force, providing the greatest lifespan of the rail itself.

Paul

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well call me old fashioned but I still prefer the rubber rail with a nice 1/2" rope insert...Classic!

I'll bet those shiny metal strips look real snazzy after they rubbed up one two many pilings.

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
older boats like mine typically have a full rubrail. Sortie's is so thick I'm thinking of using it to attach snaps for the canvas cover I might buy for it one year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I changed my boat last year one of my main thoughts was not to have the maintenance of a metal rail. I had a beautiful CC that was docked between two poles, the metal rub rails took too much maintenance after rubbing. When I ordered my new Steiger Craft they had options ie, colored, dual colors and Black.
Black is by far the easiest to maintain, especially when fishing time is limited.
Thoughts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.