NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read somewhere that you got some roosters from the surf, well I am going to Costa Rica for as long as a month and was wondering if you had any advice on getting them.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Joey2509,

Yes, Roosterfish are a blast from the surf!
I?ve caught a few from the surf of Cabo San Lucas and it?s a blast! I also have a dear friend from Mazatlan and he catches world record Roosters from the surf too!

The best advice I can give you is?.
Distance counts and make sure you have a very fast and smooth reel!

As far as lures is concerned? Anything that skips the surface and has a shiny baitfish like shape will do the trick! I?ve caught them with kastmaster, Hopkins and even a littleneck popper! Just be ready for a long and tough fight! ;)

Good luck and have a safe trip!

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Joey2539,
Absolutely! That's an excellent combination and you should not have any problems, as long the drag is set correctly! Just curious, which line / lbs. test line are you planning to use?

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Al, I will be using 20 or 30 pound powerpro. What size roosters did you get down in Cabo? Did you get any other fish down there? I guess you were fishing with sergio.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Joey,

I wished my buddy Sergio was there?but he lives in Mazatlan and I fished Cabo San Lucas, which is the opposite border of Mexico.

Since Roosters roams on open beach ? 20-30 lbs. braid line should be no problem. Just make sure you have a 50 lbs. fluorocarbon shocker leader and you are set to go! That should avoid the Cierras that roams around with the Roosters. The Cabo shores you can run into various size Roosters ranging from teens to fifty + lbs.! I ran into several blitzes ranging from 15-30 lbs. and it was a blast. The best way I can describe it is like a giant bluefish on steroids. :)

I can?t wait to go back to Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas! I?ve caught many trophy species from Rooster, Snook, Jacks,Wahoo, Dorado, Tuna, Sailfish, Grouper and Marlin. Also, the freshwater Largemouth bass fishing in Mazatlan (El Salto) is world class!

These places are truly big game paradises!
Thank you for asking!

?Crazy? Alberto
Ps: I am sure you are going to have a terrific time at Costa Rica. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Joey... Alberto has given you good advise. Take also some 3 oz Rangers by Roberts and 2 oz Bluefish Bombs by Gag's Grabbers. I would spool with 30 lb PowerPro. Dont forget to crank as fast as possible and do not slow down once you see that rooster hot on the tail of the lure.
Good luck!
Sergio

·
Registered
3 Posts
joey i'm leaving in 10 days for costa rica and was wondering if you had gone already.what information you can give me about where you went . what worked as far as tackle and lures and any other information i might need to know.any info would be greatly apreciated. thanks cbird Your Name

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.