NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Atomant,

THER ARE LOTS OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF RACKS TO PURCHASE, ALL DEPENDS WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR. IF YOU WANT A SKI RACK TYPE ANY SKI OUTFITTER, SUNDOWN, PRINCETON IN NY. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A TUBULAR TYPE SEARCH THE NET OR MAKE ONE. WHAT TYPE OF VEHICLE ARE YOPU LOOKING TO INSTALL IT ON? I MAY HAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS AFTER I KNOW YOUR VEHICLE TYPE. IF YOUR CAR OR TRUCK IS A RUST BUCKET AND NOT CONCERNED ABOUT CONSTRUCTION LET ME KNOW. OR IF ITS A NEW TRUCK AND NEEDS TO BE REMOVABLE. LOTS OF THINGS TO CONSIDER. i HAVE AN OLD WAGONEER, RUST BOX BUT GETS ME TO AND FROM THE BEACH AND ON THE BEACH. I USE MY SKI RACK FOR MY SURF RODS, I HAVE A 10' 2" PVC TUBE FOR MY FLY ROD AND A 8" PVC TUBE SEALED ON ONE SIDE AND A TWIST OFF CAP WITH PADLOCK ON OTHER SIDE FOR LONG TRIPS AND SECURITY. lET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT.

always gottafly

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also would like to know if anyone has any idea where I can pick up a rod holder that can be hung out the side windows of a smaller vehicle. I did see one on the road and it looked like it got the job done. Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gottafly,

Thanks for the response. Are you suggesting I can use a plain old ski-rack. If so how do you keep the reels vertical?

I've got a 95 isuzu Rodeo that is a far cry from a rust bucket. I'd like something that is removeable. I've come up with a homemade design but before I invest the time in building it, I want to make sure there isn't a 6-rod rack out there that costs less than the $360 one that the Surfcaster sells. (Is it me or are their prices kind of high for everything they sell??)

Thanks again,

AtomAnt

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I'd go with a ski rack, especially if you're going to carry rods that have the thinner cork butts. A ski rack holds them much better than tubes.

I have the 2-rod Surfcaster's holder on one side of my buggy and a Thule rack on the other side and like it a lot!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I agree that a ski rack is a real good solution. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I use a Thuli (sp?) rack. It takes about five minutes to put on or take off, and I have used it for about 6 years now, with no corrosion problems at all.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a solution for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to www.cabelas.com and order the saltwater fishing magazine. Inside you will a very inexpensive rod holders for both a roof rack or without a roof rack . One comes with a roof rack itself and costs 60 bucks and the other attaches to the rack and cost 30 very cheap and affective. It holds 2 rods each unit and is very good back and from the beach. I use the the one that attaches to the roof rack because I have one. I have a 89 s10 blazer and I can fit 2 unit. One on the driver's side and the other the passenger side holding 4 rods because I bring 2 rods myself plus friends rod also. I would advise you use the Surfcaster rod holder only if you a very mobile and travel to montauk because they are very safe and won't damage the rods or reels. I plan to buy the surfcaster rodholder but I am very satisfied with Cabela's. They are the best for the price. I wouldn't advise you to buy something that is garbage. This is made for fishing instead of sking.PS email me if you wanna ask another question at [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.