NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen manufactures describe tapers as being x-tra fast,fast and moderately fast on graphite rods. Which taper would be best and most sensitive for shallow water flounder fishing? Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
All graphite rods will provide you with sufficient sensitivity for flounder fishing. If I were buying a rod just for fishing shallow water, I would prefer a rod with a more moderate taper. The reason being is that you will not have a lot of stretch in the line between you and the fish, so having a rod that gives a little is beneficial.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi. I will try to simplify this.

TAPER refers to blank designers layout for cutting the material that gets wrapped around the mandrel. Just think of a right triangle. How the hypotenus is shaped determines TAPER. It can be a simple taper, or a compound taper.

The TAPER design determines ACTION. Extra fast action top 25% of blank flexs. Fast action, top 1/3 of blank flexs. Moderate action, top 1/2 of blank flexs. Slow action, the total legth of blank flexs.

SENSITIVITY- the ability to feel a nibble. Graphite has it all over fiberglass.

Now for a shallow water flounder rod. Each one of us can come up with a different answer based on our likes/preferences.

Gamakatsu gave you an excellent answer. His choice of a moderate action blank/rod is MOST important if you use synthetic line. I like the moderate action and I use mono. Shallow water not much line out to stretch.

Many times I prefer a fiberglass rod for flounder fishing, Lot of flex, because I lift slowly till I'm ready to set the hook. for me it is more fun that quick hook setting.

Want to have fun? Make an ice fishing blank into a short length, spin rod. Use a very small spinning reel with 8# test mono. This is assuming you can fish with 1/2 to 1 oz sinkers. Also I would do this when the rail is close to the water. I would not try this on ahigh sided party boat.

Hope this answer helps.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.