NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy Al,

What size rod would you recommend for general plugging and using basic soft lures (1oz Wildeyes, Bass Assassins)? I was using an 11ft pole, but have felt that I don't have very good control of the lure.

Was thinking about using an 8 foot rod rated for 10-25lb, but have qualms about whether it will be able to handle stripers and blues... What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello JMC,
If you are looking to get more control (& feel) of the 1 oz. plastics... You can simply downsize your line!

Also... I feel that the 11' rod (with lighter line) will give you the maximum distance... and a shorter rod (8') with a lighter line will give you better control.

If you are having qualms about handling a quality bass or chopper blue...
Don't Be! Simply play the fish longer and make sure your drag is set properly!

Just wondering... Are you fishing from shore or from a vessel?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do a lot of both, from boat and shore, but I'm more likely to be found on the beach.

Thanks for answering my question BTW!

Also, do you think it would be alright to put mono on my reels that is 5lb over the rods stated maximum? Right now on my 11 footer which has a 30# max., I have 50lb Fireline and there doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm just hoping that mono doesn't cause any problems either.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Many use Power Pro 50 # test line. I am told they use it because it is easier to tie the knots over 30 # line.

Remember to fish with loose drag settings. I have found that the lighter rods (8 & 9'ers)have more tendency to brake when synthetic line is used. I believe this is due to less wall thickness, equating to less strength, causing rods to break at the flex point.

My experience has been that these rods break while casting.

Capt Neil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.