NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new rod to match my brand new Avet sx 5.3.

Will be fishing braid (30-50lb). Private boat fishing primarily used for live lining adult bunker or heads for bass, secondary purposes would be jigging Crippled Herrings/Ava's/Crocks <=6oz. Deep water fluke (ambrose, 17 fathoms) and possibly some toggin as well.

I currently have The Avet on a BPS 6'3" XH muskie rod, which I like, but looking for something 7', less broomstickish. Will use my TLD 2000 for that rod as backup or deadstick.

Budget $150 max.

Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
mike a good rod for your budget is a penn powerstick 3811 or 3821 they are 7 foot they perform very well have used them for years with live bait bass fishing with lots of fish up to 40lbs they are 59.00 as for braid for livebait fishing i would not recommend it because it has no give you need mono to take shock on a big fish you wiil loose a lot of fish brake offs trust me also you can not tell if its going bad on the inside were you can check the mono by running your fingers down the line if you feel some nick or rough area you cut back the line so you dont have a break off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have no problem with braid. I use a mono topshot and keep the drag on the somewhat lighter side and have my line packed tight.

No bass in Raritan bay or just outside is going to snap my my 50lb braid on a surge. They don't surge that hard.

Just ask the West coast guys who use braid and live bait 100+ lb yellowfin on 50lb braid/Avet SX setups.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Mike, I'm a big fan of Star Rods. They have different line for different budgets, but at $150, you shouldn't have any problem. Seekers may also be worth looking at.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You might want to check out the rods (LI Series) made by Capt. Neil. Great stuff and within your budget. I use the LIS M/H with a Trinidad 14 as a backup rod for chunking, live baiting, and for blackfish in LIS.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
tautog1 wrote:
Mike, I'm a big fan of Star Rods. They have different line for different budgets, but at $150, you shouldn't have any problem. Seekers may also be worth looking at.

Second vote for Star Rods. I am a big fan as well and have several models out of their Stellar Lite lineup. They are awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I believe that Capt. Neil is a moderator on the rod forum, can find him there. BTW- for chunking and live bait fishing I like to use lever drag reels and have several Accurate 270's on St. Croix rods for that purpose only.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
surfstix wrote:
tautog1 wrote:

Second vote for Star Rods. I am a big fan as well and have several models out of their Stellar Lite lineup. They are awesome!!!

What Star should I be looking at for my application?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
MICKEY DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND CHECK OUT CAPT NELS LI SERIES THEY ARE VERY MODERATLY PRICED CUSTOM RODS AROUND 125 TO 160.THERE SWEET!Cant help you with star rods but they do make a nice product from what I have seen.

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
I second (third?) the Capt Neil "Long Islander" series - a nice 7'MH would go nice in this application.

best, Lep

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
capt neil long island series

i have two rods built by capt neil
a 10'surf rod and a long island series great rods.i dont remember what i payed for the l.i.s,but give him a call i pm'ed you his number you can also pm him in the rod biulding forum

This post edited by rac37 07:28 AM 02/09/2008

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.