NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about booking a trip on for Viking for the Viking Valley of the giants cod trip. I want to bring my own tackle on board but i don't have time to build a rod so i was thinking about buying one off the rack. there are two that look like they can do the job. one is a Star rod DLX35H heavy action 8' 30-50lb. the other is a Shakespeare USCB1180XH extra heavy 8' 40-50lb. i am leaning toward the Shakespeare because its a little heavier then the star. which do you think is better? thanks

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I am not familiar with either blank as my codfish rod is an 8.5' Calstar custom built rod, but I will tell you that a 30 - 50 pound blank is not heavy to bounce jigs that may be need to be 20 ounces or more. Also, it will not have the backbone to lift even a medium size fish into the boat without calling for the gaff. If they allow braided lines on that trip, I highly recommend spooling your reel with at least 300 yards of Power Pro line over a mono backing, it makes a BIG difference when jigging in deep water. Good luck on the trip...

Gamakatsu

G

·
Reef Man the shakespear is a good blank, star rods formally out of Miami Fl. have moved much of their operations offshore,and no one can guarntee the quality any longer have heard mixed reports on them now
John

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi,

I use my shakespear bwb H 1120, 40-60lb, 8' all the time for codfishing here off the coast of NH. Great cheap rod and I have seen a lot of partyboat fishermen use it. Put on a Newell 447 5.5 or 540 5.5 or penn 113h loaded with 300yds of Power pro (65-80 lb test)over a dacron or mono backing (as Gamakatsu said) and you have a super partyboat cod rod for Jigging or bait.

Capt. Marc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.