NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Capt. Two quick questions...First,Im building a 40 pound class wire bunker spoon rod and would like to know your opinion of the best way to install the aftco reel seat? We used to use masking tape and build it up to a certian clearance then epoxy it in place.We also used to use lollypop sticks and/or balsawood and sand it to a fit and use expoxy.What is the best way? Also where can I buy rodbuilding supplys on the internet?Thanks,Davey

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Davey.

I use the masking tape sleeve method. I build the sleeve up until the seat is a tight fit, the seat just slides oner the sleeves. I leave about 1/2" between the rings. Rough up the inside of the seat with a file and clean with isopropyl alcohol 91%.

I use Rod Bond , a semi paste epoxy, and fill all the cavities. Instrall the seat. Wipe off excess epoxy with a paper towel and alcohol.

After aligning the seat to thew spine I spin the blank at high speed for about 15 seconds. This evenly distributes the epoxy inside the reel seat.

What blank are you using?

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Capt. Thanks for your advice. I have always used that method years ago and thought maybe it has changed some. Im going to use I hope Harnells (Harringtons)......Maybe 542s or 532s.........Thanks again,and where can i get online supplys? Thanks,Davey.Have any good 8 foot blank selections for spoon rods???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Davey,

Sorry I forgot to send the web site info to you. Another senior monent!!!

go to www.rodbuilding.org

Many firms are listed in the left side of the screen. Just click on them. Many options are there for you.

For bunker spoons I build on a Lamiglas BBT 108-3M.

It is a great blank and makes the spoons dance.

I cut the tip to a # 14, and use a slick butt so butt slides out of rod holder smoothly.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.