NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al,
I was wondering if you could help me with a rod-reels set up. I own a heavy rod and reel set up for bass fishing and was looking for something lighter.I do most of my fishing on the S.Shore. I was planning to buy a Penn 975 and looking into either a St.Croix or Loomis rod, I would like to keep the rod under $150 if possible. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
John,

I have a 965 on a 7' medium action Penn Power Graph rod. It costs about $70 at Sports Authority. It is my favorite combo, total price about $250, and I use it for everything on the south shore, except trolling. My father also has two of them with a 965 and a 975 and he feels the same about them. Great rod at a great price.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doughboy,
Have you had any problem with the Power graph? I heard there were a lot of them snapping off at the tip, it happened to my friend, Sports Authority gave him his $$ back.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
On my rod I haven't had any problems, and it goes through some abuse in my truck. One of my father's rods tip snapped the first week he had it last spring. Sports Authority exchanged it with no problem. The rods in a store like that get a lot of abuse and misuse from people looking at them and playing with them. If they get smacked just right, there is a weak point. I beleive the rod tip broke because of some store damage and not a defect. Since then, he hasn't had any problems and the rods get a lot of use. I got mine as a combo from Cabela's or Bass Pro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.