NorEast Fishing Forum banner

ROD AND REEL FOR YAKKING

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ZAKWMAN 
#1 ·
WHAT ARE SOME BRANDS OF ROD AND REELS THAT ARE INEXPENSIVE AND GOOD TO USE ON THE KAYAK? JON AND JOEY...I KNOW U RECCOMMENDED SOME BUT I FORGOT THEIR NAMES..IM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING LIGHT AND SPINNING, BUT EASY TO CAST AND CAN TAKE THE POUNDING OF A BLUEFISH. YOUR INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.......CHRIS

#2 ·
Hey Chris

there are alot of ways to go, but anybody who is jsut starting out on a yak you should go cheap, Chris you are new to tossing plugs at fish and it is a different world, I like you was a bait guy for many years, in fact the closest thing to a lure I owned was a bunker snag. You should look for a rod that can toss between 1/2 and 1 oz...that should allow you to throw perfet lures for bass and blues as well and bounce for fluke. I think I mentioned before that sports authority has some good shimano combo's, they say fresh water but are perfect for off the kayak. Jon might be able to get you a cheap outfit so let me chime in if not I have a 15% off any fishing item for sports authority and I will mail it to you if you like...Hey buddy I want you to be out there catching fish. Also I will post the 5 must have lures for fishing off a kayak just cant to do it now, I fish all night I am cant keep my eyes open

#5 ·
Magilla, you can hit places like SA or the Sport-O-Rama also has what you're looking for. You can't go wrong with a 6.6" to 7' ugly stick. I have a SPL1100 that's a good choice. I wouldn't go too cheap on a reel. In the yaks we tend to use smaller/lighter gear. Some of the fish can get big and can fry really cheap stuff. Look at the lower priced Ticas and Okumas to name a couple.

As to lures. Joey and I just picked up a bunch of samples from a distributor and we're going to test the Tsunami Lures. They have a great line that's very similar to Megabait and Youzuri. the difference is that they're less expensive. So in the near future we'll be able to provide a list. I should be testing this evenging.

Reccomeded Lure Types and colors. I'll reccomend the best colors. Get 1/2 to 1 oz sizes.

1) Minnow type swimmer.
Bombers - yellow, schoolbus and black.
Yozuri Crystal Minnow - black back, chartruese/yellow.
Suspenders - these can be deadly, especially on weakfish. They're the only plugs that act like a fly and suspend.

2) Poppers - yellow, bunker, black.

3) Plastics and jigs.
Sluggos (6 & 9 inch) black, red shad, white, alewife, etc.
Paddletails - white, blue over white. There are a new breed of lures represented by Megabait, Storm Wildeyes and Matsuo.
FinS- lots of colors, too many to list but weaks love them.

Those are the 3 major groups and representatives of each.

#6 ·
Ugly Stick BWS 1101 7 ft one piece has been a great rod for the yak, 1/2 to maybe 2 oz but it's got enough guts to bait fish.

My new favorite plastic: Bass Assasins 5 and 7 inch (pintails) with 1/4-3/4 oz heads, colors Jon mentioned. Castmaster, a 1 oz. silver w/white bucktail is also a standard I think.

#7 ·
Weasel mentions them and they're a category I forgot to list.

Metal
Lots of types to choose from. One of the best is Crockodiles. Also there's Hopkins, Avas, Kastmasters and then the higher end nice finnish ones like Megabait, etc. for albies, bonita, and spaniards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.