NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I need some advice. I have a Penn 8500SS reel that I need a new rod for. I am looking to get a one piece 7ft rod to be used on a private boat, mainly for stripers and blues.

There is so much out there that I can't seem to make up my mind. I am looking to spend anywhere from $50 to $150. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a Penn 7500 matched to a med heavy 7' ugly stick and can give you some advice. IMHO the 8500 and even the 7500 are too big for a 7' rod. If I had an 8500 I would put it on a heavy 10' surf rod for chunking. I don't think that you will like the balance that you will get with that reel and any 7' rod. If you still want to do it my best advice is to bring the reel to the store that you will be purchasing the reel from and put the reel on the rod to see if you like the way it feels. Some brand recommendations are Ugly Stick, Daiwa, and Penn. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Stripermike,
Hi,

Fencer brings up good points.

I believe he is talking about the balance of the rod with reel installed. This is an important consideration.

The only reason to use such a big reel would be if you are catching BIG fish and need the drag and cranking power of a bigger spin reel.

People like to use spin reels. Cast easier and are not prone to rats nests.

For my money a conventional reel is better suited for this purpose.

However, back to the question. Let me add the names Seeker and Star Rods to the list Fencer gave you.

Take Fencers suggestion about bringing your reel to test it on any rod you are interested in.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
300 Posts
8500ss for a 7ft pole? Hmmmm...... definetly overkill.Great reel but would be better suited on a 12ft Meatstick for tossing bunker chunks. I would recommend a 7ft boat pole ( any decent brandname) and a conventional reel (Penn, Abu garcia).
Go to a few tackle shops and see what they recommend. Dont buy on first Impulse.

Local #1049

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am fairly new to saltwater fishing (this will be my second season) and picked up the 8500 last year. So since it is new I would like to get some use out of it.

Originally it was purchased for surf fishing and I matched it up with a 10ft Ugly Stick. I have since moved from the surf to a boat hence the reason I am looking for a 7ft rod. I do now understand the concept of matching the reel to the rod and having equipment that is overkill, live and learn.

So before I move up to the conventional equipment I'd like to stick with the spinning for now.

I was thinking of the St. Croix Premier Saltwater model SWS70MF or SWS70MHF. I figure buy a decent rod now so when I do change reels Ill already have a kick ass rod.

Mike

·
Registered
248 Posts
St. Croix Rods are fantastic and will do the job very well. The ones that you have listed should handle the job nicely. If you are sticking with the spinning reels I would suggest Tica as a possible option. We just began selling these reels and I am very impressed with them. They are fairly inexpensive for the quality that they offer and look nice as well :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know what you mean about the conventional reels.
It takes some getting used to.
As far as spinning reels I would recommend for the 7ft boat pole:
Shimano Bait runner 4500
Penn Liveliner 560
Penn 5500

Local#1049

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.