NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone suggest a good abrasion resistant shock leader to use? Just started fishing this year but have been frustrated with the Stren High Impact 30 lb mono as a shock leader. I've lost a couple of nice size blues already when I tried landing them from a jetty. Even though the Stren spool says that it's strong and abrasion resistant, the rocks cut through it like butter.

Thanks and tight lines to all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've been using Momai's Diamond Hi-Catch(30#). Haven't had one line break even though I have tortured the line.

At the end of the day I do cut away some of it, but there is NEVER a fray. It's good line, I used to get it at Tackledirect.com, but they are either not selling it anymore or out of stock cause I tried ordering some two days ago and I kept getting a wierd message about it...

I used to use 40lb Berkley big game, but that was fraying and always worried me.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Regular hard nylon leader material has always worked well for me.

Fluoro would be my second choice if nylon wasn't available.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
826 Posts
T&B--try going up to 40 or 50# test on the leader. And, try buying a bracelet-type spool of leader material instead of regular mono. From most places, I've been using 40# Hi-Impact without a problem. From the rocks, I usually go with 50# Big Game. Both from a bracelet spool of leader material.

Check it often for nicks--especially if you're into blues. The problem is that blues sometimes fight each other for the plug, and one trying to snatch it away might nick the leader with a glancing rake from its teeth. Weakens it just enough for it to pop if you try to lift them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.