NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Rockin.

Check your local library for a copy of Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale P. Clemens. PG 197.
OR you can contact Clemens Tackle and order the book. WWW.clemenstackle.com

OR ask your local tackle shop if they have a copy you could read.

Or visit me if you would like to a see dynamic demo showing how a rod is completely balanced vs a conventional rod with guides on top. The demo is eye opening. Folks think I am spitting into the wind when I verbally explain balanced rods. When they see the demo they are wide eyed in disbelief until the results sink in.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
26 Posts
" Folks think I am spitting into the wind when I verbally explain balanced rods. When they see the demo they are wide eyed in disbelief until the results sink in."

Couldn't agree more. Convinced 2 guys the other day when a guy we were fishing with had teh tip top guide on his Loomis twist off. He kept making fun of my rods with the twisted guides. Each time he fought a fish I pointed out to him and another friend - "Look at the tip - it's about to twist right off" Sure enough an hour later he was asking me if I could fix the tip for him.

Another source of info wuld be to drop into a local seminar. There is on in Allentwn PA in March, and maybe another one locally in LI - if so there will be some info posted where with specifics.

Take Neil up on his offer. Billy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Captin Neil, it's Andre, you buit me that rod from a 9' lami e-glass discontinued blank this past summer. I love that rod! As you might remember, I bought a 12' 6" lami blank # GSB 150 2MH, and after the season, I'm going to bring it to you to wrap. My question is about a spiral wrap. Why would you use a spiral or roberts wrap? Will a roberts wrap decrease distance in casting? Is a roberts wrap practicle for a 12' 6" rod capable of casting weights from 6 to 16 ounces? Last question, what does a roberts wrap look like? Thanks for the info. See ya soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Andre,

How are you? Hope you are catching big ones!

A Roberts Wrap or Spiral Wrap has to do with the position of the guides on the blank. It has nothing to do with thread wrapping. This method of laying out guides is used on Conventional rods. The first guide up from the reel is installed on the top of the blank. The next 2 or 3 guides rotate towards the bottom of the blank. The rest of the guides are installed under the blank. What this type of guide installation gives is rod stability. The rod will not twist to the side. A spinning rod already has this stability.

This way of installing guides is about 75 years old. It has come and gone over the years. I believe that we are in a rebirth of custom rod building and the great interest brings out all this information. There are several different ways of laying out the guides for this type of wrapping for stability.

This method uses several more guides. Therefore the cost of building a rod this way will increase.

I have such a rod for bottom fishing and it is fantastic. This winter i will build a conventional casting rod for test purposes.

Look forward to seeing you again Andre.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Capt Neil and Billy. You don't need to convince me, I'm a believer already and eager to learn as much as possible. The book is ordered and I can't wait to receive it. Don't be surprised if I take you up on your offer for a Demo. Are you attending the Fishing Tackle Flea Market at the Knights of Columbus in Lindenhurst? Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Rockin.

Yes I will have a booth at the Lindenhurst Fishermans Flea Market. Once again I will have 3 tables right in front of the bar. I will bring blanks(blems/seconds), thread,wood butts, synthetic grips, cork grips, some reel seats and whatever else i can lug there. Look forward to meeting you.

Oh, I will have my demo rods with me.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
26 Posts
http://momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=8105

Here's a picture of a Spiral wrapped Calstar 700L.

Neil - we gotta talk some more - I'm am also going to wrap up a surf stick spiral wrapped this winter. I got a couple of guys who are going to test cast it for me so I can get some feedback that I'd like to share with you.

My house is almost built - it is possible that I can move in before teh end of the year!!! Then all I gotta do is build my shop and I'm all set.

I've been fishing with spiral wrapped rods all year, about 25 trips - bottom fishing and jiggin / bait for Blues and Bass. Properly constructed, they are fantastic for fighting bug fish, and casting distance on my 700XL w/ a Calcutta 400 can NOT be beat.I can underhand cast a 2oz jig from the side of a boat about half way through the spool loaded with 20lb P-line. The rod has to be properly constructed to perform to its max though.

If anyone wants to check out these rods (I have 4 -) in Brooklyn, shoot me an E-Mail - I will be fishing the Flamingo a lot soos, or you can just drop by and I'll let you have a hands on. [email protected] or [email protected]

Billy

G

·
Billy you might want to look at Chris from the UK post on rodcrafters seems they are having some problems with the spiral wrap and knot clearance
John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.