NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in the process of repowering our 1988 25' mako center console and was hoping to get some advice.

The boat takes a maximum of 370hp so twin 200 4-strokes are ruled out.

Right now it's powered by twin 150hp evinrudes, model year 93.

What we are looking for is not a boost in speed, but a boost in fuel economy. we're satisfied with the mid-range performance and top speed. We currently get(25 knot cruise) and are mainly concerned with that. we want the safety that comes with twins because we frequently make the trip out to the canyons off nj. currently, we're having a tough time with the decision because the mako is a heavy boat and we don't know if a possible loss in hp will offset any increased efficiency brought on by the 4-stroke models.

We've been looking at the yamaha hpdi's but recently discovered that the 175's are not available in counter-rotating models. Prior to know this the 175 HPDIs were our first choice, but it seems these are no longer an option.

Want to avoid evinrudes due to bombardier dropping the warranty from 3 years to 2 years. it seems that if bombardier wanted consumers to know that the evinrude ficht line was reliable products they would have kept the warranty at 3 years or extended it. just a concern.

right now, thinking of twin 140hp suzuki 4-strokes that were recently unveiled. they seem to be getting good reviews and they're lighter than all the 150hp dfi or efi's and the 130hp honda's. Our other choice is the Yamaha 150 HPDI. They're available in counter-rotating models but are 50 pounds heavier than the suzukis and significantly more expensive.

I suppose other options would be the mercury optimax 150s but haven't heard much about mercury and whether they're suspending/continuing production. having a tough time with this decision and would be extremely greatful for any thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just repowered my 27 Phoenix with 200 Suzuki EFI's and I am very happy.Unfortunately, my fuel efficiency is not that great with the EFI's and would have been much better with the direct injenction products. I would definitely look at the 140 4 strokes from Suzuki. They make a reasonably priced good product and the warranties are great. I think they are offering 6 years on the 4 strokes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.