NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Just jack it up off the bunk/rollers. Get 6 cinder blocks & a few cut up pieces of 2 X 4's 3 or 4 " long ". Place the jack in the center of stern on a nice block being carefull not to run it through the hull. Lift the boat, block it off on each side of stern with cinderblocks and wood.
Might want to block the front too, do it off thr trailer. Dont jump in the boat unless the bow is blocked as it could be wobbly. jack it a few " es off the rollers leaving enough room to paint.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've never done it before, but I was told how to do it by a mechanic at the boat yard. (After my axle snapped coming around the turn in the road JUST BEFORE the entrance to the marina!!! [just MY luck...lol] Luckily I didn't have to take the boat off the trailer, as they were able to bring the forklift over to pick up the entire rig.)
But anyway...The way Scalawag suggests is fine, but if you want to comepletely remove the boat from the trailer, jack up the back of the boat just like he says. Make sure it's nice and sturdy. Then, SLOWLY pull the trailer forward, while someone keeps an eye on the boat to make sure it doesn't move. When you get the trailer almost completely out from under the boat, then block up the front of the boat. You can then pull the trailer out all the way.
Like I said, the way that Scalawag suggests is fine...just jack it up a few inches off the trailer, but if you did want to remove it completely, this is the way (suppposedly) that it is done. I'm glad that I didn't have to wind up doing it, because I wouldn't have felt safe trying to pull out the trailer...LOL!
Good luck either way.

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I just did it yesterday to paint under the bunks,
The only thing I might add is he'll need more cinder blocks or what I used patio blocks & cinder blocks. Or he could use those big wooden blocks. And whatever you do dont use a bottle jack without a nice block of wood between the jack & boat, maybe better with a floor jack if possible. I bet most boats all you need to do is jack the stern and the whole boat clears all the rollers on the trailer thats how it was with mine, also paint the bottom as much as you can then jack it to do under thre bunks or rollers so your not under there when its jacked up { not that anything much would happen if it slipped except fall 6" back on the trailer}. The next day as I'm going to do today lower the sucker back on the trailer.
I wanted to add ..what I did was borrowed the blocks from the yard where I dock if you dont have them, these marinas have hundreds. It's the least they can do for a good customer.

This message was edited by Scalawag on 2-27-02 @ 1:11 PM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.