NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully,
This is the relief we have been waiting for, at least it is a step in the right direction. I believe we ALL need to get behind this.

RELIEF ON THE WAY

Congressman Pallone to Introduce Legislation to Provide Limited Flexibility in Healthy Fisheries

Seaside Heights, NJ --- Common sense legislation that will give relief to recreational anglers and the associated marine industry will be introduced by Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ) on February 12, 2008. Mr. Pallone, a senior member of the House Natural Resources Committee, will sponsor a bill which allows for limited flexibility in healthy fisheries on a positive rebuilding trend or where stocks have increased substantially.

The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act contains arbitrary and rigid rebuilding requirements. While these provisions have spurred growth in many fisheries, at times they have unnecessarily restricted recreational anglers and have not been adaptive to the dynamic marine environment. Top fisheries scientists and the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) made this point during testimony at a congressional hearing in December 2007. Mr. Pallone's language would give the Secretary of Commerce the discretion to adjust rebuilding timeframes only if specific criteria are present to ensure that the conservation of such stocks continues to advance. Limited flexibility would allow fishermen to retain access to important fisheries such as summer flounder, red snapper, gag grouper, vermillion snapper and Pacific rockfish.

"When deciding how best to rebuild fish stocks in complex environments, we must use sound biology and science, not arbitrary deadlines set by Congress," Pallone said. "The legislation I'm introducing in Congress is about rational rebuilding, and it is the best way to rebuild our fisheries without bankrupting tackle shops, party boats and commercial fishermen."

Anglers and recreational fishing businesses in the Mid-Atlantic involved with the summer flounder fishery have experienced firsthand the illogical nature of the current rebuilding requirements. The 2008 summer flounder quota is the lowest since management began for this species yet the stock is at the highest level of abundance in history. Under the current law, fishermen and the businesses they support are denied access to fisheries through lower quotas and eventual closures. In cases such as summer flounder, the current management regime has produced results which are arbitrary, unfair and punitive.

"Based on the consistent cut in quotas in some fisheries and unattainable rebuilding goals in others, I am introducing legislation that will provide limited flexibility and will improve stock assessments by requiring more robust and thorough research," Pallone continued.

"Congressman Pallone's leadership is to be applauded for showing that it is possible to maintain conservation, continue to rebuild fish stocks and, at the same time, allow fishermen to access healthy fisheries," states Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of the RFA. "We are committed to working with Congressman Pallone to convey this important message to his colleagues in Congress."

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
E-mail being sent!

This is probably the only way the rec fishing industry will get a fair shake from the managers. I'll be e-mailing my congressman in a few minutes to request that he support this bill.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
loligo wrote:
How is this legislation different than that of the HR 4087 from Jones and friends?

This one is being filed by a Democrat in a democratically controlled congress.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
kirk12 wrote:
Can 2008 be saved?
Highly unlikely. Even it gains lots of support the greens are going to fight it. IMHO unlikely to to even come to the floor before the Fall or winter. Even then there is lots of doubt about whether or not it will pass. The green groups fought tooth and nail against similar provisions in the last MSA amendments.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
loligo wrote:
How is this legislation different than that of the HR 4087 from Jones and friends?

This one is being filed by a Democrat in a democratically controlled congress.

LOL...politics and fishing, bad partners.

But definitely willing ones.....

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Or how much there is of anything.

Some want there to be grat restrictions on fishing, some want great stocks of fish, and still some more want no fishing at all, no matter how many fishes there are.

Paul

·
Registered
774 Posts
loligo wrote:

And is the text of this available anywhere , yet?

Not yet. I have hard copy but not an electronic version yet. Pallone has the press conference on Monday in Seaside and was to introduce the bill only yesterday, so it will take a day or two for everything to be come available.

United Boatmen, SSFFF, RFA, GSSA and JCAA all spoke in support of the bill at the press conference.

By the way, at the press conference Pallone announced 2 of the co-sponsors of the bill.

Barney Frank and Walter Jones.

·
Registered
774 Posts
loligo wrote:

And is the text of this available anywhere , yet?

Not yet. I have hard copy but not an electronic version yet. Pallone has the press conference on Monday in Seaside and was to introduce the bill only yesterday, so it will take a day or two for everything to be come available.

United Boatmen, SSFFF, RFA, GSSA and JCAA all spoke in support of the bill at the press conference.

By the way, at the press conference Pallone announced 2 of the co-sponsors of the bill.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
CaptTB wrote:

Tony- can you summarize the finer points of this legislation that are different than the Jones Bill HR 4087? ( if this is different?)

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
The reason I ask is I'd like to know if this is going to include language that will ensure that any changes (beneficial to user groups)
includes comm'l fishermen too......I am assuming if Frank and Jones are on board that it does?

·
Registered
774 Posts
loligo wrote:
The reason I ask is I'd like to know if this is going to include language that will ensure that any changes (beneficial to user groups)
includes comm'l fishermen too......I am assuming if Frank and Jones are on board that it does?

It has nothing to do with recreational or commercial fishermen, it's about the rebuilding of the stock, period, which is about all the user groups not just one or the other.

Here is the press release from Congressman Pallone: Press Release

This post edited by CaptTB 04:08 PM 02/13/2008

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.