NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal for recreational fishermen to sell fish to markets without a license ? Someone I know sold fish to a market. Isn't this another way for greedy commercials to get around their trip quotas ? The market was in Freeport.
Wake up guys, the local markets are taking our wonderful fish and selling it around the globe. The Europeons and Asians depleted their fish and are sucking us dry. I read an article about recreational fishing in Japan. There's millions of die hard fishermen like us and they got high tech equipment . Despite this, they can only catch a few fish for an entire trip. They got no bag limits or size limits.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
You officially cross-over

When you go in that direction, you officially cross-over into the "pin-hooker" category of commercial fishing. Your catch then counts towards the commercial pin-hooking quota's and not the recreational quota.

Keep in mind, if you want to become a commercial fisherman there are all sorts of regs and red tape to consider from the coast guard requirements for your vessel to the type of boat insurance policy you carry. Not to mention the extra liability exposure (if someone gets sick eating your catch), INCOME TAXES, etc...

Anyo

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
As a side note, I was in Woodcliff Canal in Freeport about two weeks ago, and I recall one of the fish stores on the water having a sign that read, "we buy fresh fish". I don't remember the name of the place, but it is on the west side of the canal, right by the Gambleing boats.

·
Registered
404 Posts
topic : "recreational fishermen selling fish to fish markets"

baitman,

in this thread, the beef is with the sporties who sell their catch.

those bogus recreational fishermen don't want to make the commitment that you have made.

they just want to beat the system, and cheat all of the legitimate commercial and recreational fishermen.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Baitman What's Your Problem?????

Nobody said anything negative about commercial fisherman on this topic! None of us blamed commercial fisherman for anything. As a matter of fact, the only post on this thread with any anger or unwanted tension was YOURS!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
There is no such thing a recreational angler who sells his catch. Once you sell your catch, YOU ARE A COMMERCIAL. If you sell your catch illegally, than you are nothing more than a poacher posing as a recreational angler. If you go back to the spring of last year, you will see my post about "AC/DC" anglers, which covered this topic.

Anti Commercial
Discreetly Commercial

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The Freeport sign reads " cash for fish" for what its worth,

Been there for years, Doesnt bother me.
Who knows maybe thier directing the sign to commerical only?
I'm not suggesting its OK for people go over the bag limit or sell short fish but lets say you had a great day Fluking and caught 7 Doormats, you should have the right to do what you want with them.
I know those folk & thier nice people & dont think they would do anything unethical.
Alan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey doc calm down and read the first post. I think that "greedy" is a negitive comment. My point is that it is pretty funny how "sunnyday" in one sentance wants to sell fish and in the next trashes us!!! It must be me???

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Baitman,
I think you are missreading the post. Sunnyday is complaining about people without a commercial license who are selling fish. He is saying that if you want to go to the trouble, expense etc of getting a commercial license that is one thing, but those without a commercial license should not be allowed to sell fish, and markets should not be allowed to buy from anyone except those with a commercial license.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Striper It is illegal for anyone to sell fish without a NYS Food FIsh Permit. So what sunnyday's friend did was against the law and for any fish market to buy fish from an unlicenced fisherman is also illegal. If everyone is so concerned turn these guys in they are the ones that are "greedy". If any one knows of this type of activity in the freeport area contact Sean Reilly of the NYS DEC at (516)297-4904 .In stead of complaining do something

·
Registered
58 Posts
dime a dozen

haha..you think this a new thing??

this has been going on for years..and the great thing is half the time its the same guys bashing us comm. guys that are pulling up to the docks selling whatever they can.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Come on guys lets not start getting holyer than thou about this. The line between commercial an rec. fishing has allways been blurry. years ago before permits and quotas most of the offshore boats including mine carried harpoons in the event we encountered a broadbill finning. we would make a couple of passes with a bait and if it didnt respond we'd button hole it and take it to Whitecap in east islip. If we had a very good day I would often bring my excess fish to one of my friends in the restaurant business. Does this make me a commercial fisherman, maybe, depending on your point of view. I dont feel that I am. The point is moot anyway given the state of the resorces in todays world. I would rather see fish sold than go to waste drying out in someones freezer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Fish Sales

Gentlemen,Are not the most flagrant violators those mates on those boats(Read Sheepshead Bay)who in the process of trying frantically to fill a 50gal drum with disregard to size nor limits ignore the paying passengers,especially the novice with his or her children out for a nice day or so they thought?
Their refrain is,"the cpt does'nt pay us enough".Does that mean therefore a waitress should take home the silverware or the bartender the half-filled bottles at the end of a shift?We as resonable people know that it is hard to make a decent living in some professions.Clearly the culprit here is both the captain and the crew.To further compound this problem,who is on firm moral ground to advise a passenger of specie limits?
Obviously DEC could care less since over the years have'nt seen one at SB @4PM.I have presented my barber with fish on occasion and he at a future time has cut my hair(the little I have!)gratis.Am I commercial? Think not.Am I wrong? Perhaps.Where is Solomon when you need him most? In essence let your actions reflect your upbringing.Tight lines fellow fisherman.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
the Goverment sucks

I had a sea food lin. and gave it up . Now I want to get another one but Guys you cannot get them any more unless you buy a boat that has the lin. So I am all for guys selling there fish. Why should someone tryiong to earn a living be banned because the goverment wont offer anymore? You think thats fair?

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Heh heh heh, Incognito

Always such inflammatory remarks from such a mild mannered man in real life.

What have you and Bouy Bob been up to? Dad and I cancelled the tuna trip yesterday due to uncomfortable seas. But guess what he brought along just in case, the harpoon. He was looking to take a sleigh ride.

Chris

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.