NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY, PEOPLE HOWS ABOUT A NEW DISCUSSION BOARD WHERE WE SWAP SOME FANCY, PLAIN, OR WACKY RECIPES. I'LL GET THE BALL ROLLING WITH MY SECRET (UNTIL NOW) RECIPE FOR SMOKED ****TAIL BLUEFISH THAT WILL GO LIKE CANDY. I'LL BE BACK WITH THE RECIPE SHORTLY.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"SMOKED" ****TAIL BLUES

THIS RECIPE SHOULD BE USED WITH BLUES OF NO MORE THAN 4 lbs. ( I USE 7-10 BLUES IN ORDER TO FILL THE SMOKER)
FILET THE BLUES WHILE ALIVE (DO NOT WAIT, THEY MUST BE FRESH!!!) RINSE THEM IN SALT WATER AND IMMEDIATELY PLACE THEM IN COOLER (KEEP 'EM CHILLED!) MAKE A BRINE USING KOSHER SALT (2c.)AND HONEY (1jar) MIX WELL, LAYER THE FILETS IN THE BRINE AND REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT. THE FOLLOWING DAY, PLACE THE FILETS ON RACKS TO DRY (A FAN HELPS DURING THIS STAGE) ONCE DRIED (ABOUT 4 hrs.) THEY WILL HAVE DEVELOPED A 'GLAZE'.

THEY'RE NOW READY FOR THE SMOKER. "HOT" SMOKE THE FILETS USING WHATEVER WOOD-CHIPS YOU PREFER. (I USE HICKORY OR MESQUITE) THE BEST PART IS THAT THEY'RE DONE IN ONLY 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.!!!
THESE ****TAILS WILL CONVERT ANY FINICKY FUSS TO A BLUEFISH LOVER, I GAUR-ON-TEE.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pickled BullHead Filets

Hey Zakwman,It looks like a great receipe for ****tails,gotta get a smoker now,.What a excellent way to preserve excess fish ,it says alot about your skills as a fisherman if you have such a abundance of blues you have to smoke them.Here is my Pickled bullhead Receipe:
2 Onions
2 carrots
2 garlic clove
2tsp salt
2 cups water
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
4 tsp pickling spices
Approx 2 lbs of bullhead filets(Any kind of filets will work)
Put all the items into a pot,bring to a boil(like the one on your Back)simmer for 5 minutes ,remove from heat and add the fish,pour into tight sealin jars and refrigerate.Serve as a cold dish with crackers or on a bagel.Its a party fav whenever I entertain.ENJOY AND KEEP THOSE CONCOCTIONS COMING.Just be careful squeezzzzzing those cheeks as a little gas might occur and you might clear the party if you not careful.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Arthur Treachers Striper Batter

Here is my killer way to turn stripers into Arthur Treachers. -You won't know the difference.

Cut the fillets into three inch by two inch rectangles.

flour all the pieces and set aside to dry.

Preheat a pot of oil for deep frying (at least 400 degrees).

The batter is simple; use one cup of buttermilk pancake batter and mix with one cup of club soda or water. Add a half teaspoon of salt and a half tablespoon of onion powder for each cup of mix. For a 30" size striper, two cups of pancake mix is more than enough.

Preheat the oven to 325.

Dip the fish in the batter to generously coat and then deep fry. Once golden brown store the fried pieces on a cookie sheet in the preheated oven until all the pieces are cooked.

-That's it!

Let me know if you try it. It's also great with blacks, cod and sea bass.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Zakwman:

You posted "FILET THE BLUES WHILE ALIVE (DO NOT WAIT, THEY MUST BE FRESH!!!)"

Nothing for nothing- how about bleeding the fish and throwing it on ice? Filleting a fish that is still alive seems to be very brutal, barbaric & disrespectful to a living being. How would you like to be skinned alive? I thought not!

How about this for fresh bluefish:

Cut thru one set of gills and place the fish in the livewell- it will bleed itself until the heart stops.

Next, when the fish is lethargic, rinse and throw on ice. Do not fillet until rigor mortis sets in. When you fillet, do not cut into the visceral cavity. Now, you will have bluefish fillets as white as fluke.

This is the proper way to prepare a bluefish.

The flesh will be much firmer, making filleting an easier task.

Or maybe you wanted to give PETA the wrong impression about recreational fisherman?

Do you believe in karma?

If you cannot understand this- then go find an American Indian.

It's about being humane vs. human.

It's about not inflicting unnecessary suffering on any living being.

It's about being greatful for receiving...

Get the picture?

-Bill

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
STRIPED BASS

Marinate fillets in teriyaki sauce for 1/2 hour with some rosemary. Place marinated fillets in tin foil - cover with the rest of the sauce. Close up the foil & place on BBQ. Once you hear the sauce sizzling - leave on the grill for 15 minutes & serve. Pour any remaining teriyaki in the foil over fillets after placing on a plate. Excellent...

Also......

Place 1 or 2 piece of butter under each fillet & place in tin foil. Squeeze on some lemon - add remaing lemon pulp on top of the fillets. Add a little white wine. Sprinkle with garlic salt, oregeno, tarragon & paprika. Close foil & again place on BBQ. Allow to steam for 15 minutes once you hear everything sizzling. Remove from tin foil - place on a plate & pour remaining juice from the foil on top. Again - excellent........

The last one also works well with fluke & flounder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
porbeagl

I ASSURE YOU THAT I AM NOT THE BLOODTHIRSTY KILLER YOU MAKE ME OUT TO BE. TO THE CONTRARY, NOBODY LOVES ANIMALS MORE THAN I DO, AS MY FATHER USED TO SAY. IN TRUTH, WITHIN 5 MINUTES OF LEAVING THE WATER, THE FISH IS IN A STATE OF SHOCK AND UNAWARE OF ITS SURROUNDINGS (INCLUDING THE FILET KNIFE). I DO NOT FILET WHILE THEY ARE STILL KICKING. THAT WOULD BE CRUEL AND A LITTLE RISKY IF YOU ASK ME. THERE IS ALSO THE OPTION OF "KNOCKING THEM OUT" WITH A SMALL CLUB. (YOU CAN PURCHASE ONE IN MOST TACKLE SHOPS). WHAT PERPLEXES ME ABOUT YOUR RESPONSE IS THE IDEA OF PUTTING IT IN A "LIVE" WELL, AND LETTING IT BLEED TO "DEATH". WHY THE LIVE WELL ? IT ONLY PROLONGS THE FISHES DEATH. IN EITHER CASE, THE FISH IS DEAD AFTER A SHORT SPELL, AND UNLESS YOU'RE STRICTLY CATCH N' RELEASE, THAT'S THE REASON YOU BAITED YOUR HOOKS IN THE FIRST PLACE. I TREAT MY CATCH WITH GREAT CARE BECAUSE I WENT TO THE TROUBLE OF FINDING IT. YOU CAN RELEASE YOURS IF YOU WISH, BUT IF YOU WANT TO EAT, THEY MUST DIE. I'M NOT CONVINCED THAT YOUR "KILL" METHOD IS MORE HUMANE THAN MINE. I SINCERELY HOPE THAT NO FISH SUFFERS AT ALL. I APPRECIATE YOUR COMPASSION....................ZAK

·
Registered
197 Posts
Zak

Por has a valid point, most fish will survive out of water for up to 20 minutes, I have had some blues still kicking after an hour which was a shame....

By bleeding them, it is a slower type of death. Think about it, if you were to sever an artery in your arm or leg, you will slowly bleed out and by time you are down to half the amount of blood you had, you're most likely going to be unconcious.

My father taught me to cut on side by the gills, never both. Why? Because cutting both sides is like giving someone a "Columbian Neck-tie," fast, but brutal... By cutting one, it lengthens the time, but probably saves them the pain of being filleted half alive.

If you just bleed them, it will take about 5 minutes or less for it to be over, then you can filet them.

I have one further problem if anyone has an answer, please help.... I love Skate(I know, some of you are probably disgusted), but I hate the fact that you have to slice of the wings(meat) soon after the catch because of the ammonia in their blood. Does anyone know where their major vessels are? I just don't like cutting off the wings than discarding the rest while it's still alive....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Zak:

The problem with bluefish is that they are a bloody fish. Culinary speaking, by filleting them while they are still alive (or "half alive" and not kicking as per your second post), you do not give them a chance to bleed out- so you end up with a very bloody fillet. I'm sure that you are not a cruel person- but please remember there are many newbies that read this site that may believe as a result of reading your post that fish should be filleted while "alive". Sushi is fresh, but tuna are not filleted while "alive"- they are bled (which is necessary to keep them edible and palatable), beheaded & gutted, iced down, then usually many hours later they are steaked.

The flesh of the fish is much firmer when cool, plus you can see what you are doing because there is no bloody mess, resulting in much better fillets and minimal waste of a precious resource.

I fish for enjoyment and I fish for food. A fish is a magnificent creature that should not be subjected to the torture of being filleted alive.

Try preparing your fish as described above- you will be pleasantly surprised with the quality of the fillets.

One other tip- when you fillet:

Start on the back near the head- "mark" about 1/2 inch into the flesh with the knife halfway down the dorsal until you are behind the anus, then go deeper along the vertical bones and lift the tip of the knife up and over the backbone, then go straight thru down to the tail. Go back to head, lift fillet and "peel" it off with a sharp knife over the ribs (do not puncture into visceral cavity), and finish it up.

Bluefish have a reputation for tasting awful- stemming back to the party boat "trash can" days- but with proper bleeding and icing the only negative I can say is that the flesh still tends to be somewhat mushy after being cooked.

I did not mean to offend anyone, just wanted to offer another point of view.

Porbeagle (my other computer)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Zak

Hey Zak ,If my memory serves me right didnt you have a Booth at the Yakkers 2001 show at the Javitz Center in manhatten showing this exact filet technique.Where was everybody?. Along with the rare "Filet and Release "program you tried to get enacted as law in newyork.It looks like some of the yakkers in the discussion board might have been hit with a oar,how else can you splain it!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CAPNCRACK, PORBEAGL, ET AL.

THE IDEA THAT THE ACT OF FILETING A BLUEFISH IS TANTAMOUNT TO TORTURE SEEMS TO HAVE TOUCHED A NERVE WITH YOU FOLKS. UNDOUBTEDLY, SOME OF YOU ARE VERY CONCERNED FOR THE FISH'S AMOUNT OF PAIN PERCEPTION.IF THAT IS THE CASE, THEN YOU SHOULD JUST RELEASE EACH AND EVERY FISH THAT YOU CATCH. BY THE WAY, DO YOU CRUSH THE BARBS ON THOSE HOOKS? HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THE PAIN INFLICTED WHEN YOU SET THAT HOOK IN ITS FACE? HAVE YOU EVER "LIVELINED" A BUNKER?, A SNAPPER?, AN EEL?, OR EVEN A MINNOW OR KILLIE? WHAT ABOUT THE LOWLY WORM? DID YOU KNOW THAT THEY POSSESS 4 HEARTS? PERHAPS THAT MAKES THEM FOUR TIMES AS LIKELY TO FEEL THE STING OF YOUR HOOK AS YOU THREAD HIM ON !!! ON A BALMY SUMMER EVENING HAVE YOU EVER COOKED UP A DELICIOUS POT OF BLUECLAWS OR LOBSTER? HOW DID YOU COOK THEM? BOILED ALIVE I IMAGINE. WHEN YOU ABHORR THE INFLICTING OF PAIN OF ANY OF OUR CREATURES,YOU CAN'T PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH OF THOSE "BEINGS" ARE TO BENEFIT FROM YOUR MERCY. YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO BE MERCIFULL TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM. THAT, OR JUST DON'T GO FISHING........
NOW I WOULD RATHER HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU WITH RECIPES.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Zak:

It was about the filleting of a live bluefish in your first recipe, if you remember (you fail to mention this in your subsequent posts).

Anyway- you do have me on the lobster- for this I have no response- you do have a point.

OK- back to the recipes. I will give up my best recipe as payment for all of this nonsense:

Portugese Fishermans Stew:

Pot #1
Slowly cook in purified water some "dead" cod fillets.

Pot #2
Do the same with some bay scallops.

In a frying pan, heat up some olive oil and brown some flour.

Remove foam from pots 1 & 2- throw away.

Mix stock from pots 1 & 2 into pot #3.

Add in one can of crushed tomatos, mix thoroughly.

Add some fresh cilantro and cooked, sliced kielbasa. Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Simmer for one half hour.

Steam some mussels and add in at the end with the fish & scallops. Serve over French bread.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Fluke fun

OK heres one:
get a package of immatation crab meat and schred it by hand, dice up 1 large onion and some celery put the contents in a bowl, crush 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers and add 1 stick of melted butter, mix.
Take a Fluke filet and put a spoon full of stuffing on top, fold filet over and tooth pick. on an oiled baking sheet place stuffed filets in preheated oven
425 for 12-15 minutes. It definently works for me!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.