NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still looking at getting a blank for a conventional jetty rod and I am intrigued with the Rainshadow Blanks because of their low cost and generally favorable reviews. I have a couple of quesitions.

As a composite rod, are they better able to take abuse than graphite?

Are they similar to the Sabre 1088 and 1089?

Which of the two would be better if one were maining tossing 3 oz of lead and cut herring or clams off the jetty? (I might go up as high as 5 oz and low as 1 oz.)

Thanks again for your help. Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Tom.

Looking at the catalogs, I would say that the blanks you mention are comparable.

I don't have prices on Sabre 1088 or Rainshadow 1088.

I read and hear good things about the Sabre 1088 and I suspect the Rainshadows are the same.

I think it will be hard to find a blank that throws 1 oz and 5 oz payloads equally well. I think you have to determine which end of the weight spectrum you will be throwing most. Low end = 1088 and high end = 1089.

For jetty work and any place you put your rod in harms way I would use a composite blank. They are rugged!!! A composite blank/rod gives you the best of both worlds, graphite = sensitivity and strength, fiberglass = flexibility.

I built on a Lamiglas C6909 blank for jetty work. It casts 2 oz bucktails fine and I wouldn't hesitate to throw 5 oz with this rod. It has survived a bad fall in the rocks at montauk. The blank is a little heavy if you are going to cast all night. But it works. It is a demo rod and available for casting. Contact me if interested.

If you fish synthetic line I would definitely build on composite blanks.

Am trying to find out when Lamiglas will introduce a line of 1 piece composite blanks for surfcasting. They already have 2 piece on the market. Recently I got one of the 2 piece blanks and I like what I see.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Captain Neil:

Thank you for the advice. Its hard to decide on a blank when you can't see it or feel it first hand. Where abouts are you located?. I suspect that I am too far south to be able to make the trip to see the Lami.

The weight that I would be casting the most is 3 ounces and I suspect that either blank will work well for that. I am leaning towards the 1089 because I need to able muscle the fish around rocks at the Newburyport, MA Jetty.

I was able to find one of the old, plum-colored sabre 1088 blanks which I think is a shade too light to do what I want. I tried out one of the newer Sabre 1089 blanks (which I have been told are faster-actioned and stiffer than the older 1089s) it was too stiff. I am hoping that the Rainshadow 1089 composite might fall between the two.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Rainshadow series of rod blanks are much different than the new Sabre models. The Rainshadow models and their materials have been upgraded tremendously in the past two years, to meet the demands of the custom rod builder. The graphite/glass composite stiffness to wieght ratio lends itself to be a comfortable and durable rod to fish with for many years. The vendors committment to consistency is of the utmost importance in this product line that has been in existence for more than twelve years.
The Sabre series has been bounced around from vendor to vendor, some domestic, as well as Asian factories. So comparisons of Rainshadow and Sabre are not in order.
As Neil has said, Lamiglas offers an excelllent product line also. It just depends on your particular wants, needs, and applications.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi.

Paniolo,

Thanks for input regarding Rainshadow blanks. Unfortunately for me I have not had any Rainshadow blanks in my hands to flex etc.

Tom,

I am located in Sayville NY, the south side of Long Island near Fire Island.

Here are other options. Lamiglass makes the fiberglas BT 108 3M, 9', 30 # line. This is a blank that has many uses. It is durable for jetty work and would lob eels effectively. The tip could be trimed to meet your needs.

Calstar makes fine blanks. Their Grafighter series is composite. They are rugged, cast well and have lifting power. You might check out the GF800XL 10-25# test, GF800L 15-30# test or GF800ML 20-40# test (built like a steel beam).

I think the Calstar web site lists their dealers by state and location.

Happy hunting.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've also heard good things about the Calstar blanks. Especially about the GF800L. Do you know if the GF800L would work with the weights I have been discussing?

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Tom,

Great blanks with lots of guts. Very fast tip action. Very little flexability for total length of rod. Rated 8-20#test line. PROBABLY BEST SUITED 15-20 # TEST.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.