NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install a radio in my 22 ft walkaround. I?ve heard that the radios (electronics) are all quite similar, but the quality and length of the antenna determines how far one can send and receive. I currently carry a hand held radio but I don?t think the range is any more than five to eight miles ?? I would appreciate any suggestions for a fixed installation that would work for me when I?m 25 to 30 miles offshore. Basically, I want the additional range for weather information and an emergency. Thanks. WaterBoy

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Its not the size of the antenna but the height of the antenna that mostly determines the range. So try to mount it as high as you can. Look at the consumers marine catalog for a good discussion of what size Db antenna is best for you.

===MakoMike===

G

·
height is one of the most important factors in range on a VHF radio...the other is antenae quality.....one of the best rated (by powerboat reports) is the shakespeare 5225 which i use on my boat..it is pricey ..approx 90 bucks thru most discount houses...but great quality and reception....do you have a radio yet?? if not i would look at one of the icom i have an icom which i use as a backup and i am very satisfied with it....i think it cost about 150-160 thru post or defender marine......

good luck

capt jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.