NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. The more I've sharpened my fishing skills and interacted with fellow fishermen on this site, I'd like to be able to equally interact on the water.

I know that a lot of sharpies are very secretive with their channels and understandably so. But I was curious if any of the Nor'easters use a general VHF channel just to catch up on while on the water, specifically the Northport-Huntington area.

I tried finding a thread about this, but could not so forgive me if I've missed it.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone on this.

Tight lines! - Dan

· Registered
12,203 Posts
The table of available channels and their purpose is available here:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf

Although it isn't common you can be cited and fined for using an inappropriate channel.
Interesting, never knew it existed and quite humorous reading up here where the lobstermen use an "Intership Safety" channel to yak with each other and you ask for bridge openings on a "Boater Calling" channel.

· Registered
18,114 Posts
Interesting, never knew it existed and quite humorous reading up here where the lobstermen use an "Intership Safety" channel to yak with each other and you ask for bridge openings on a "Boater Calling" channel.
I use 13 to request bridge openings at SpitenDyvel(?). Never hear much on it when i leave it on 13 by mistake.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Good evening all. The more I've sharpened my fishing skills and interacted with fellow fishermen on this site, I'd like to be able to equally interact on the water.

I know that a lot of sharpies are very secretive with their channels and understandably so. But I was curious if any of the Nor'easters use a general VHF channel just to catch up on while on the water, specifically the Northport-Huntington area.

I tried finding a thread about this, but could not so forgive me if I've missed it.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone on this.

Tight lines! - Dan
Many people in Huntington area (including the Huntington Anglers Club) use 78. Don't expect a lot of info though. Most use cell phones for that. But you can also use dsc too. good luck.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Definitely something I will work with next season. Tried a bit this year, but it never seemed to work out. Hopefully one more shot tomorrow on the North Shore before we call it a season. Overall can't complain. Had a decent couple weeks of fall action on stripers. Not too many big ones, but a lot of bent rods.
Tight lines - Dan

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Definitely something I will work with next season. Tried a bit this year, but it never seemed to work out. Hopefully one more shot tomorrow on the North Shore before we call it a season. Overall can't complain. Had a decent couple weeks of fall action on stripers. Not too many big ones, but a lot of bent rods.
Tight lines - Dan
Dan, sent you a pm.

· Registered
10,830 Posts
Slimer, not specifically the Northport-Huntington area.but up heyea were on 88 nd,56 Comm. :)

· Registered
613 Posts
Tight lines - Dan
Interesting. I'll give 68 a try in 2015 (Port Jeff area)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.