NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Look at JRC. The price is right and there is no compramise in quality. JRC manufactured Ratheon marine electronics for years and are now on the market here in the US. Dont buy a 24nm radar and expect to see 24 miles. The horizon is the limit and you'll only reach that far if your dome is up high enough to do so. Without mentioning any names, most of the radars you see in the catologs are names you'll pay for BIG TIME. Read the specs and compare. Beam width is most important to see close in. The smaller the beam the better you'll see. A 14nm radar with a tight beam is all you need unless your sailing a yacht that sits 25 - 30 feet above the water line. Good luck

G

·
Just beware that Raytheon & JRC have a reputation for poor product support , esp on older models.
Ive tried to get parts for older units we've had & parts were scarce/non-existent

Maury Raven

·
Registered
31 Posts
Raven,
I agree with you about support with Raytheon products. I have had fantastic support results with JRC. I've owned just about all the major brands except simrad and when it comes to a unit that is 5 - 10 years old they all lack the support thats necessary. With out going into detail stay away from the Pathfinder. There is no test done for the capeability on a radar unit in the marine electronics industry. Tests are done on durability/longevity. Do your homework and you'll find that the top 3 in radar units sell for 1/2 the price that most of us spend on units that have been sold via big colorful ad's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.