NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 24' Osprey. I was thinking about getting a radar unit for my boat. What would be a good small unit for this type of boat. Is it really necessary. I will usually be fishing in the ocean, bay, etc off of Mattituck, Long Island.

Thanks John

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a jrc radar on my 25 aquasport that works very well and you can't beat the price. I would reccomend radar if you fish away from shore and fish in an area where fog can very quickly roll in, i know that the radar has saved me a couple times. I would highly reccomend this or any radar on a small boat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The JRC will do the job. The people behind JRC are the same people who were once behind the technology at Raytheon. Dont get caught up in the 24nm radar. The 14nm or even 12nm will get the job done. You'll never reach 24nm anyway. Try Consumer Marine Electronics in Brick NJ. They will give you the advice you seek. This is not neccesarily the place to buy but the knowlage there is top shelf. Safe sailing, Capt. Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Raytheon RL72 on my 22' Grady White, fish in the Western Sound and have found it to be a great security blanket for dense fog and evening outings. Like any electronics, use it with common sense. Great instrument.

·
Registered
778 Posts
1622 mkII furuno is the best small boat lcd radar on the market 2.2 kw power small dome and thin profile for the radar itself i use this everynight i fish and never fails Very good price also cheaper the raytheon and twice as good in my book.. when it comes to radars nobdy has furuno beat. These are always on ebay too hundreds less then new

tight lines...Anthony

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Raytheon RL72 Pathfinder. Reason: The intelligence built into the unit (software wise) makes this unit very easy to use- it takes care of the fine tuning for you. I've had mine for over 3 years & had a Furuno before. A negative on the Furuno is the quality of the manual.

-Bill

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
It depeneds what you are using it for. I have a Furuno 4 kw antenna with a crt diplay that interfaces with my GPS. Thats the big difference. 4kw vs 2.2. Its about $800 more and gives you a few more options. Any questions call Jim at NY Marine electronics, he is in Port Jefferson NY. Great guy who is very knowledgeable. He might even have something used form when people upgrade. You will see him at the NYC show and the Nassau show, thats also when you will get the best prices.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been doing a lot of research on radars myself. I plan to buy one this winter also. I've been looking at Furuno's Nav-Net. I want to add the plotter and fishfinder eventually. From what I've read, the 4.4 KW is better not because of the distance it can see, but because of the power. The 4.4kw will pick up smaller items, and differentiate between two close objects. The 2.2 will blur close objects together as one. They also say that the 2.2 will "miss" small objects on very heavy fog because of the low power. Whether this is true or not is another story. I'm planning on looking at the different models at the NY boat show to make my final decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.