NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas,

I have tons of tool at my house, probably everything you could need, but what tools should I have to build a rod. I am looking forward to making my first rod, and also, could anyone point me in the direction of some Bait and Tackle shops that carry guides, tips, etc. All my local shops have custom rods, but don't have guides or blanks on display. I know I want to use a Cape Fear blank, first rod is going to be a 7 foot conventional for flounder/blackfishing.

~Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Joe,

Being that you have all those tools , you can make your own rod building devices.

You need a set of rod supports for wrapping and drying finish epoxy.
The rod supports can be very simple v blocks. A BBQ motor can be used as a drying motor. Most purchased drying motors are 6-18 rpm.
A used sewing machine motor and foot pedal are very good for a wrapping drive asm. The sewing machine tension device can be adapted for the thread tension.
A spine finder, static deflection jig, and cork ring asm tools are very easy to make.

Your local tackle shops will have all these devices and more if they build custom rods. You can go online to www.clemenstackle.com and look at their catalog and see many of these devices for sale or get an idea what they look like.
Go to www.rodbuilding.org and check out the list of suppliers on line. Lot of good info.

My shop is always available to anyone looking for info such as this.

Not knowing where you are located, I can only refer you to the tackle shops in my area. Capt's in Bayport has a beautiful glass display case with many types of guides on show. He also sells other types on components.
These shops also have components: J&J,Patchogue, J&R,Oakdale, Rocky Point Fishing Stop, Terminal Tackle,Kings Park. Check the fishing periodicals for other advertisers.

It is very rewarding to catch fish on a custom rod that YOU made.

Happy rod building.

Capt neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
524 Posts
Capt. Neil covered all the tools needed. However, you could simply use a cardboard box as a wrapping jig and books stacked up for thread tension.

When I started the first true rodbuilding tool I purchased was a finishing motor. You can easily adapt a rotisserie motor for this.

As far as Long island shops that sell components you can go to Sea Isle or Donart in Freeport.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt. Neil,

I live in Eastern Suffolk County and frequent Rocky Point Tackle a lot, just never see any parts, just their own customs.

Where is your shop located Capt. Neil?

I don't know if this would be good in place of a rotisserie turner, but we have have two lathes, one that runs at a certain RPM, between 10 and 300 turns a minute. We also have a lathe that uses a foot pedal and I have used to craft baseball bats because the fastest it spins is 50RPM, but I usually keep it at a pace of 15 when doing anything, would this work?

Also, are there any conventions, classes that you know of for rod builders?

Thanks for all the info,
Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Joe,

WOW!!! What a baseball game and I'm not even a Yankee fan!!!

Back to custom rod building.
Ask the folks at the Rocky Point Fishing Stop if they sell guides etc. They might. They also have rod building lessons, in March, I think. Talk to them.

My shop is in Sayville, south of Sunrise Hwy. I am always willing to have folks come over and see what custom rod building is all about.

A constant speed lathe would be fine. You have to support the blank along its length. Finishing has to be done in a very clean environment. No dust etc.

Go to www.clemenstackle.com and click on RodCrafters. You will find info about seminars around the U. S. Check out www.rodguild.com They have a Conclave in Tenn.

A rod building seminar is being put together for after the New Year sometime. It will be a 1 day affair. A great opportunity for people wanting to see or get into rod building. Plans are being formed and info will be released at the proper time. I will make sure to post the info on this site.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you sure you wanna use a Cape Fear blank for your first blank? Maybe you should pick up a couple of blems/2nd's from mudhole.com for practice first. Cape Fear blanks are real expensive and they are difficult to turn on a rod lathe because of the hexagon profile doesn't ride smoothly over a rod lathe's round wheels. Also, the finish you put on the wraps tend to thin out at the "points" of the hexagon. If you put the finish on heavily, it tends to sag on the flats of the blank because of its natural tendency to wanna pool/level off in a round profile due to the turning of the dryer motor and the points are, again, dry. What you end up with is alot of finish on some spots and very little little finish on other spots. Not considered confidence building for a first rod.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Mrsinbad.

Very well put.

The Linderhurst Fishermans Flea Market is a good show to pick up stuff to replenish your tackle and rod building supplies. Click on the banner on this web site for details.

I will have a booth there selling rod building items.. I will have different types of blanks (blems/seconds ) for sale. Prices ranging about $15 - $30.

What beautiful weather. Think tomorrow is a fishing day!!!!!

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi.

Click on their banner on the right side of these screens. The K of C Hall is between Sunrise Hwy and Montauk Hwy, west of Wellwood Ave.

November 24th. 9AM -3PM.

Many vendors sell various fishing supplies etc.

Stop by and say hello.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.