NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My grandfather sent me up some 30lb Fireline with a A 4(Horizontal) 47(Vertical) diamong jig, I think it weighs about 2oz, what tpye of fishing could this be used for. I usually use a 007 for my Bluefishing, but this thing is Triple the size.

Tight lines,
Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Joe.

If it is an A47 diamond jig, it should weight about 4 oz.

This is a very popular party boat jig on the Long Island Sound. Or any place else! It is heavy enough to get to the bottom most times. The size resembles the bait fish . It will also catch stripers and believe it or not I have seen them catch fluke, blacks and sea robins.

Give it a try. Hit the bottom and wind up 4 or 5 turms. Repeat this until you lose touch with the bottom. Wind in and start again. Many times I will put a teaser on a dropper loop about 3' above the jig.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Capt. Neil,

You said to use a teaser on a dropper loop, I've been using a 3-way swivel when I add a teaser to the mix. Would a 3way work, or should I just go with the dropper loop? Also should I remove the surgical tube that covers the hook?

~Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Joe.

There are many ways to rig hooks and sinkers etc. I believe in using what you have faith in and works for you.

I like to tie my teaser right to the mono and I tie on the jig to the mono also. I believe it acts more natural.

You can tie a heavier leader to the line using a barrel swivel.

I don't use wire leaders. Yes I do get bitten off by the blues occasionally. I do retie my jig frequently and especially if I SEE ANY NICKS IN THE LINE.

On any given day one method will outfish another.I use a naked diamond jig (no colored tubes). The partyboats in Long Island Sound do not use tubes and the customers catch lots of blues/bass. I have seen customers using their own jigs with tubes and they catch fish also. I associate tubes with umbrella rigs.

Diamond jigging for blues/bass is my favorite way to catch these fish.

Many other ways are equally as good.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
39 Posts
whats a dropper loop? so you can jig a dimond jig also? i was under the impression that it was made strictly for cast and retrieve. also as far as using bucktails off of bridges near wooden pilings, in the winter or fall, should i change from the usual white and red, or yellow colors at night?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Capt. Neil,

Thanks for all the info, just one more question. Have you ever used fireline? If so, I just went fishing for about 2 hours earlier, I was looking at the reel and two parts of the line, deep into the spool looks as if they are really twistet, but when I looked closer, the line was normal, then got this wierd spread braided look, ever see this before??

Fisherking,

I've been doing well this past week with Blues on the South and North Shores using a 2oz white bucktail with a yellow pork rind, and when they're not biting on that, I've found that yellow with either a white or green porkrind has been working. Just pulling up blues on it, the stripers aren't taking my bucktails... Oh well.. Think I'm going to head out Winter Flounder fishing and see what I can do now.

tight lines,
Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi.

A dropper loop is very easy to tie. It is much easier for me to show someone than to write an explanation, sorry about that. I am sure another fisherman would be glad to show you or someone in your tackle shop. It is a very strong knot and stands 90 degrees off the leader. Maybe we can get Noreast to include a dropper loop in their animated knot thread. How about it guys????

Diamond jigs are also used for cod fish and pollack along with colored tubes attached above the jig.

Since I do not night fish I can't help you on what color pork rind to use. I do hear all colors work at sometime. The challenge and fun is to figure out what and when.

I always found it interesting to see all the colored spray paint cans in surfcasters trucks. If a certain color plug was hot and they didn't have one they painted their plug on the spot and caught fish.

Joe, I don't use synthetic line. Tried it on a friends rod several time. I understand its value but just a personal thing with me. It works!

Folks please remember this if your use synthetic line, since it doesn't stretch and reels are very strong, the weak link is now the ROD!!!!!!
Especially using graphite rods. They will break and it is not the manufacturers fault!!!! Learn how to use this type line PROPERLY!!!

What a beautiful day. Wish I was out on a boat or beach.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hello Capt. Neil,
How are you? Hope you had a great 2001 season!!!! As you know, I mostly bottom-fish and have little interest in blues, but my curiosity is aroused. Most peolpe I know who fish for blues insist on a wire leader, so my question is: What is your reasoning for NOT using a wire leader?
Hope the rest of your seaon goes well !!!!

SEAWOLF

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Seawolf> Good to hear from you. It has been a very good season. Hope yours was and is also.

I don't use a wire leader jigging because I feel it takes away some of the natural action compared to when the jig is tied directly to the leader. I do lose a few fish and jigs BUT many times another blue bites thru the leader way above the wire leader. I guess the secret is to buy the jigs as cheap as possible.

Take care.

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
39 Posts
thanks alot joe, are you fishing in a boat? i ask because i find that with bucktails in more shallow water they donw work as well as from bridges or boats becuase your dragging them along rather than jigging them through the water. my most effective use of a bucktail is on a bridge jigging side by side with wodden pilings. loads of bass, blues, and weaks that way. as far as your brainded fireline, as far as im told fireline has no streach and the only time i've had the line brain like that was either slack or fresh line on the reel that was never used.

·
Registered
39 Posts
thanks neil, that would be great if they could animate the dropper loop for us. by the way is it like tying a sort of nuce like loop in the line before the leader? i use that type for weak fish setups. thanks again.
p.s. why no night fishing? no time or is there a reason. i do all my fishing at night can't find bass in daylight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Fisherking.

Yes it is like a noose. The best part is its strength and it stands 90 degrees off the line.

I am a morning person and like to be on the water early especially to see the sun come up. That was when I had my own boat.

I like surfcasting but don't have time to do it. Once again the sunrise makes the day for me. I do like to be on the beach at sunset. I just don't feel as comfortable on the water in the dark. Maybe its just rigor mortus catching up with me...HA!!!

Capt Neil

(631)567-8049

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fisherking,

I usually bucktail off bridges, but have had luck bucktailing off the North Shore beaches. I usually surfcast, but I occasionally, maybe once every two weeks head out in a boat on the sound. Tried bucktailing once, didn't like it. I like to bounce the bucktail on the seafloor, but sometimes when I'm off a bridge and the water is deep I won't let it reach bottom. It's all in preference, though I seem to catch more bouncing it off the bottom.

Also, I've lost 8 bucktails this season from dragging on the bottom, so it can become costly..

·
Registered
28 Posts
When diamond jigging if there are alot of blues around I usually use a double leader. I use a simple bimini to get the double leader. I also take the original hook of the jig but leave the barrel swivel on. Then I attach an open eye hook to the swivel. On the opposite end I attach another barrel swivel with a small o-ring and attach it to my line. With the 2 swivels it lets the jig free fall without any line restriction which makes the presentation alot more natural and the double leaded doesn't have any effect on the action and helps with blue fish. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. Tight Lines, Lou

fishon

·
Registered
39 Posts
i know i never drag a bucktail because it always gets stuck in something but i do love to find a bridge with pilings in the channel and i use white/red bucktails and jig at medium depth along the wood. always produces bass and weaks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.