NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relative newbie to the fishing world. This is my 2nd year with a boat fishing mostly out of Smithtown Bay. My question is since I do not have a fishing boat with live wells and such, what is the best thing to store fish (provided I ever get a **** keeper...LOL). I have read that folks put them on ice. Do I just bring a large cooler and toss them in? I always thought it was best to keep them alive as long as possible in a bucket of water. Please advise this rookie. Thanks.

· Registered
211 Posts
I used to keep them just in a bucket after I caught them..

Now, I throw them on ice. Keeps it fresher.

With blues (or really any fish, but mainly blues), the general consensus is to gut and bleed the fish in a salt/ice slurry.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
cooler with ice is pefict, if you want to bleed the fish in a bucket of water for a few minutes first that would help. I fished for years without a live well. only neccisary if you fish live bait. If you have a swim platform you can mount a temp livewell as needed.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I had heard you werent allowed to gut the fish at sea and had to take them on land. How exactly do you bleed a fish and why would you do it in a bucket. I guess you just dont throw throw the whole live fish on ice?

· Registered
406 Posts
different rules for different fish

Not too sure of some of this but the rule for fluke is you can take off the white lower side for "fluke belly" bait. Otherwise the body has to be whole. Bass and blues you can gut or bleed, not sure about filet as at some point an "official" might want to measure and count fish. You can bleed out a fish as soon as you determine it is a keeper by slicing the flesh that connects the head to the gut (you put the knife through the both gills and slice out toward the bottom of the fish or it's pectoral fins. Gets messy as the heart pumps out a great amount of blood which makes the fish taste better. I have only done it on bass and blues. Some people put the fish in bucket of water while this is happening but if you have a wash down, right on the deck is good!

As far as ICE goes - yu should always keep the fish cold. I use four half gallon plastic milk containers which I keep in my freezer all the time and then just put them in my fish storage well on the boat - works out fine, cost less than Ice.

This post edited by 1ReelDeal 03:10 PM 09/09/2008

· Banned
2,710 Posts
RookieHook wrote:
lingking wrote:
RookieHook wrote:
How pissed do they get when you bleed them?

not as pissed as the guy in your avatar

Yea, he lost his temper a little!!:):):) He opened a little cut right above his right and left eyes.

I guess he lost the same fish I did...........:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.