NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Question about parachute jigs

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  vinnyf 
#1 ·
I asked The Pros yesterday and didn't receive any responses. Could someone tell me how to fish parachute jigs, eg. speed of troll, color, tipped with anything, etc., etc. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
i have found that trolling at 4mph, perriwinkles, tipped with the longest style pork rind works the best. troll two colors a white/red and a all white to see which color they want that day. the depth you have to play with because on some days they are up and others farther down in the water column.

#4 ·
doctorfish, i'm not the best with computers and i will have to talk to the wife who knows about the scanner. a perriwinkle looks like a bucktail with longer hair. I believe they are 3-4oz's. it does not have the smilling bill face or the hairs going forward like the parachute. they carry them at R&G bait and tackle.

#6 ·
when trolling a parachute(not like trolling surgicals)you have to stand near the stern let out your wire to a desired depthnow take the rod and point it 45 degress from the boat hold it with two hands then slowly bring the rod to when its pointing at the stern than back to 45 degress than to the stern than back again and again etc.etc.etc.
what this does is make the hair open and close looking like a squid.i learned this at mtk.pt. on a charter boat,we caught both bass and blues but it is work,and then after all that jigging you have to reel in the wire with a good size fish on.it makes for a good night sleep.
p.s. when you are jigging the rod reel in or let out a little wire everu so often so as not to weaken the wire line in one spot

vinny f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.