NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since, the bluefishmaster got me thinking more about eating fish and my health. I want to take this time to remind my fellow surf rats and boat fisherman that fishing during the day without wearing good sunglasses (UV A/B coated) WILL increase your risk of developing cataracts at an early age. It may also cause development of Macular Degeneration. PROTECT YOUR EYES!! Just like not using sunscreen will increase your risk of getting skin cancer i.e. basal cell, squamous and the nasty melanoma. As a medical professional I too need to heed my own advice. When I was a kid I was a lifeguard with fair skin, now I'm paying the price. I keep my dermatologist in business with yearly checkups and removals of those "things" on my skin. Each timeI visit he makes one boat payment on me!

Now, what else can we worry about? Life is short, so have fun but be careful.

P.S. Thanks Mattyblazer for the 705z info. My buddy just bought it.

Tag & Release, Happy Holidays
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 12-26-01 @ 7:01 PM

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
TR,

Totally agree!

If you're going to be out in the sun, sunscreen helps but cover up too! A wide brim hat and long sleeve light colored shirt. Click Here for an example picture. It's not really as hot as it sounds/looks. Keeping the sun off you keeps you very cool.

Besides, I'd rather be a bit warm than be burned.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
404 Posts
LIPS

don't forget your lips!

i was on the water 225 days a year, in my former life. everyday, i put spf 15 on my face to protect against skin cancer.

on my lips, i used chapstick. i used it everyday, "never went out without it". i thought i was protected, but it didn't have spf (sun protection factor) back then.

last april, the dermatologist froze off the outer layers of my entire lower lip with liquid nitrogen. i was lucky. it was only the precancerous stage of squamous cell cancer (worse than basal cell, but not as bad as melanoma).

now i even use spf 30 lipstick on those full moon prowls.

set,
opinari

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.