NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my first 4x4 a few months ago which finally, enables me to fish the inlet and surf. I was curious to learn if there was any thing I should now about, when fishing the inlet.etc lure types and weights, plugs vs bait , inlet conditions ,fishing in the surf or any other info you wanna pass along. Greatly appreciated.
fishnut

·
Registered
65 Posts
fishnuts
I suggest you drive the beach SLOWLY at low tide to learn the terrain(sand bars etc.)Make sure you air down the tires on the 4wd.

If you have never fished the beach this way you can learn alot by watching the water. You may see birds diving for fish and may even see a "swirl" in the water made by a fish.

As far as fishing the inlet, depending on the tide, you can vary the weight used for baitfishing. ( I prefer lures)

You can't go wrong with Kastmasters, hopkins or striper swipers. If you have favorites of your own, use them.

Sometimes the point of the jetty is best and sometimes the back side is better.

I could go on forever and still not tell you everything I have learned. I am still learning too.

Feel free to email me.

Oh, one last thing make sure you drive the beach at 10MPH. The rangers set up radar "traps" and will give tickets.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Regarding driving on the beach, IMO always stay well above the high water mark. If you get stuck you don't want to be in a race with the tide!

Also, if you drive out to a bar or bend in the beach be sure to note carefully any cuts of low spots that water might fill when the tide is up and therefore cut off your retreat.

And remember that full and new moon tides are higher/lower, as well as wind and storms pushing the water higher.

It all has to be taken into consideration for safe passage on the beach.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Libba has the following lined up:

LIBBA 4-WHEEL BEACH DRIVING CLASS
Sunday - April 28th, 2002
Robert Moses State Park (field # 3)

Besides offering the course, the organization is involved in many projects, including charities. It's a worldclass organization. We'd be lost without them. Check-out libba.com.

If you not a member, you should be.

Chris Marino Libba #267

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot . Definitely appreciate the info. I was also wondering how the rangers are when fishing overnight(with permit)? do you really have to fishing at all times. Can you take a break and chill in the truck for an hour or so?

Thanks again guys
and gals

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd pick up a copy of the SC Park guidelines, and chit-chat with the staff the next time you're in the area, since specific activities are allowed in designated areas, at certain times of the day. Remember,too, that bird nesting areas must be respected at all times.

Follow the rules, use common sense, and kept it low-key. For example, it's o.k. to take a break or power nap while legitimately night fishing, but a rowdy party around a huge barnfire will draw attention for sure.

Most of all, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was in a similar position as you last year, 4x4, new to the scene and wished I'd been hooked up with this website then. I learnt a ton by trial and error.

Discovered that around the end of april/early May that Tog (blackfish) were plentiful off the point at the Moriches inlet. Used worms to catch many keepers in excess of 16 inches. Cast to the western side of the jetty.

Found blue fish in the inlet, used a variety of lures from tins to to bucktails working the inlet itself closest to the ocean rather than bay. Also took a few blues on chunks of bunker at the same place.

Later in the season managed to catch striped bass using clam belly. Found that most often would catch as the high tide was approaching the calm of the flood. Striper action for me was at a variety of points along the jetty.

Fishing the coast line was less predictable. Found that many days were spoiled by weed and strong currents, I have yet to master these tougher days. However on the better days found that striper action was better in the mornings and early evenings. While I used bucktails, suplemented lure casting with clam belly which produced good results.

I recall the previous year watching numerous anglers successfully nailing Blue fish and Albacore. This was in the later days of October and provided the inspiration to get 4x4 equipped, needless to say I never witnessed that sort of action last season.

A had some nights out and have to say that these were truly memorable events.
I was never to sure if making an open fire was legal, still don't so if anyone knows the answer please post. Did however take down a smokey Joe and enjoyed some light hot snacks while assessing the next cast.

Lastly, remeber to park perpendicular to the ocean and to reverse up toward the dune line. This keeps you out of trouble, both with authorities and the rising tide.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Inlet Suggestion

If you are going to fish the inlet, I would suggest bucktails. If there are other fishermen close around, then i strongly suggest bucktails. Once the season really gets going, I fish the inlet often and it's not a pritty site when there is one guy with bait and everyone else is timing there casts with bucktails. Take care and good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.