NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't sound too stupid here but I often get confused when poeple begin talking about the differnet type of lure's. I know there are things like poppers, buctails and jigs, what is the proper description?

I consider a 007 Diamond jig to be a jig, well what is my Kastmaster, an underwater swimmer?

Hate to sound so dumb here!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Any heavy metal chromed lure is a jig, AKA casting jig, diamond jig, tin.

"Jig" also applies to bucktails and rubber body lures.

"Popper" can include polaris, pencil, creek chub, atom.

"Swimmer" is just about any plastic or metal lip lure. Also includes Gibbs style swimmer.

"Darter" is generally only one type of lure, the Gibbs style darter.

Lots of lures are also called by other, more local, names and nicknames.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
404 Posts
i call all metal-bodied lures = tins.

i consider metal lures (tins), bucktails and other leadheaded lures to be jigs, when they are worked near the bottom or in a predominately vertical fashion.

although kastmasters can be successfully used as jigs; they are typically used for long casts (hence their tradename), and retrieved a safe distance above all but snag-free bottoms (cost factor). when this type of horizontal presentation is employed, they might "properly" be referred to as casting spoons.

tins - works for me.

set,
opinari

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.