NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks my bro did buy the 22' Grady cuddy and the I/O is OMC.
I know alot of people don't like these OMC I/O's.

Can anyone tell me more about the problems associated with them?
Are the problems specific to any particular model year?
Any and all info appreciated.

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I bet you figured it'd be me chiming in!?
Its the transom mount shifter cable, we'll thats the major culpret. It was recalled a few times for issues like gear clashing while underway, which blew lower units, and terrible problems shifting in & out of gears.
The cable needs the upgraded part & yearly adjustment and lube { you pretty much have to pull the drive every winter & tinker with it.}

I bought a late '80s 19' Chris Craft with a almost new volvo and a rebuilt cobra drive last year. The boat wouldnt go in/out of gear without using 2 hands. Even when the engine just installed it was too tight and got really bad in a matter of months. I ended up blowing the engine 100 hrs. new volvo because I shut off out of gear and it hydrolocked , then I bumped the starter not knowing what happened and compressed water in the heads breaking a rod. I sold the boat dirt cheap.
I spoke to a few local marinas { before blowing the motor}and mostly noone would touch it & the ones that said they would wouldnt guarantee it would work right.

Having said that theres some out there that dont seem to be as bad as others. Also if you get issues taken care of and give it proper yearly adjustments Ive spoken to people who like the drive because it is a beefy unit.
The thing is you will hear a thump while taking off on a plane and that is the gears clashing and often you'll blow the drive then and there.
OMC recalled thousands of these , rebuilt the lower units for free and upgraded the shift cables but it was just a mess for the company and customers and the company lost millions and most of them never worked right. This & FICHT was the 1-2 punch that led to OMC's bankruptcy last year.
The drive was a copy of the Volvo drive and as with FICHT it just wasnt engineered right and sold to the public too soon.

Go to Sterndrive.com for more info.
theres a guy { an engineer} who bought one of these boats and figured the whole problem out & made an incredable website on the Units problems and how to fix them ect.. With the fickle nature of the web dont know if the sites still around ask @ Sterndrive.com
Good luck, Alan

PS Volvo's with volvo drives dont have this problem, just the Volvo/OMC setup.
Mercruisers are also fine.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alan.....and yes I did think I would hear from you on this.
I appreciate the info and I will advise my bro accordingly.
Thanks again>

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
206 Posts
i had a omc cobra and was back and forth to the dealer. blew the lower unit and had it rebuilt and got rid of it. it was also recalled because of the shift cable and reverse was never quite right.

jat

·
Registered
206 Posts
i had a omc cobra and was back and forth to the dealer. blew the lower unit and had it rebuilt and got rid of it. it was also recalled because of the shift cable and reverse was never quite right.

jat

·
Registered
4 Posts
So.I'm begining to understand a little about these I/O's.........very new to me I've always been an outboard type of guy.
I'll tell ya I have a new found appreciation for my 1986 175 Yamaha,that's for sure.
Alan that website you mentioned is a wealth of info. Interesting to learn that problems going in and out of gear with these outdrives are so common.
I'll bet your right though....a good mechanic, annual adjustments and maintenance probably will go along way towards smoother operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.