NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi anyone have any good Idea's on how to wrap with this type of thread I'm having great difficulty trying to get it to butt up without leaving those tiny gaps and it's very tough to see if it's overlapping, also does anyone know where I can purchase a good magnifying device to see my wrappings better it getting very tough to see as you get older and after using that halogam stuff it worst than if you had a few too many it
makes you go blind any tips I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
dwk2252

Hi,

I am trying to remember if Prizm is the thread that is flat.

I use Gudebrod HT metallic thread for guide wraps. For butt wraps I use Gudebrod HT Braid or Electra Metallic Hologram Braid.

Both braids are flat and 1/8" wide. It is an easier way to do a nice butt wrap.

You can get head magnifiers in most wood working stores and tool stores. Some catalogs also carry them.

Be careful not to wrap too tight on butt wraps. You will not be able to push threads together and have the threads stay in position.

Sometimes scuffing up the butt wrap area keeps the threads from moving.

You can apply a coat of sealer, wick off excess sealer (keep the brush dry), use a lamp to almost dry the thread and push threads together.

I hope some of this helps.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Prism is a flat thread I don't even know why
they even consider it thread it's more like a
very thin film that breaks when you apply to much
pressure it really looks fantastic but it's really the toughest material to work with

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
dwk2252

Hi,

I will have my demo rods with me at the Lindenhurst Fishermans Flea Market this Sat.

You will see butt wraps done with the Gudebrod braid.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Please go to Fishing Rod Forum and click on Lindenhurst Fishermans Flea Market.

I recently posted all the info you are interested in.

My booths are located in the back room near the bar.

Please say hello when you get there.

Capt Neil

This message was edited by Captneilf on 3-13-02 @ 10:46 PM

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
DWK - You're in Brooklyn? Shoot me an E-mail, and if I'm at my parent house we could hook up. I'm in Staten Island now, but I had a few rods where I used the Holographic thread.

No matter what - it is a pain to work with. I've used it as an underwrap, and in my butt wraps. E-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
248 Posts
The prizm thread tends to stretch as it is pulled under normal thread tension. I have had success when apply less pressure. Somtimes on a particularly thick or thin rod I will not even use the tension device on the wrapper and just use my fingers. Billy is right there is no real way to work with it and have it not be a pain. If you can go and see his rods made with this thread it you will see that the exta pain in the you know what will be worth it.

Fencer04

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
New thread from Gudebrod

Spoke with the Gudebrod people this weekend at the Seminar.

Sometime around July/August they will have a new product on the market.

It will be HT Electra thread. (name might be off a bit). Size A and D.

This is a high tensile metallic thread with holographic qualities. The blue has some green in it. Looks great! Have to wait to see how many colors.

I hear rumors of a new butt wrap item on the drawing boards.

Gudebrod was listening and writting down all the +'s and -'s we brought to their attention.

As soon as I have definite info or get some to test I will post on it.

Capt Neil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.