NorEast Fishing Forum banner

POWER PRO = NO GO FOR ME!!!!

5K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  sandman 
#1 ·
I have just returned from an eght day striper fishing trip on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The netters broke their quota the second day of the first week @ 100,000 lbs. There was a two and a half day blitz up at Ocean Sands. You had to have a bait which looked like Menhadden (Storm Mullet 6")in order to hook up. One of our guys got a 33 1/2 incher, and another a 44 1/2 incher. We did not get many fish but had a great time. On this trip, using a Shimano 4500B Baitrunner spooled with 50 lb. test Power Pro, mounted on a 10'-0" Ugly Stick M/H action, once throwing 8 ounces + bait, and the other 6 oz. + bait, I had this line to break in the middle of my cast with no reason what so ever!! I am going back to Fireline!! Never a problem with this line! Power Pro = No Go for this old surf caster!!!!!

foxfirejem

#2 ·
I would tend to think if you busted the PP that easy you would have had the same problem with the FireLine. In my opinion it would sound like a problem with your knots or you should be using a shock leader. I've NEVER had PP break, never. The Fireline is good but tends to separate too easy. PP is a much tighter wind and still limp. Fireline is like a cats whisker!
Just my opinion.

#3 ·
Foxfirejem, I think you are using too much weight and your casting could be too strong. Try going with 65# PP. I think it could be your casting than the weight. 10# per 1 oz. sinker.

Since PP dont stretch, your powerful cast combine with the sinker and bait is over the limit for 50# PP. I think 65# PP should solve the problem. If not try using it on a conventional outfit like a 10ft. rod. I use that with 6oz sinker and a bunker head. Cast like over 100yds with no problems. Try using different rigs than a fishfinder rig.

I hope I helped. :D

#4 ·
no problems here

I used 30# PP this season in the surf on a ten foot lami GSB1201M and had no problems throwing heavy bait or lures. A lot of people have problems when they either have a cracked guide causing it to fray, using way too much weight, or leave the rod lined in between trips which causes a flat spot on the line where it rubs against the top guide weakening the line. This subject has been discussed to death just do a search and you'll find a million and one posts on it!

#5 ·
Knots???

If you don't tie the right one you'll hate PP to death.I've had guy's swear to me that it's not them it's the line.
I use the palomar but double loop it through the eye,then tie the knot.It seems to be stronger.
quote:

bluefishmaster
posted 12/16/2002 06:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foxfirejem, I think you are using too much weight and your casting could be too strong. Try going with 65# PP. I think it could be your casting than the weight. 10# per 1 oz. sinker.

Since PP dont stretch, your powerful cast combine with the sinker and bait is over the limit for 50# PP. I think 65# PP should solve the problem. If not try using it on a conventional outfit like a 10ft. rod. I use that with 6oz sinker and a bunker head. Cast like over 100yds with no problems. Try using different rigs than a fishfinder rig.

Good point

#7 ·
Power Pro

Check the Power Pro break for no reason post. I think you'll find your answer there. Me peronally, I will never go back to mono. Been using 50 lbs. for three years without a problem. One reel has the same three year old line still on it. And I don't plan on changing it any time soon. I do soak it in fresh water & blow dry it after every outing. Water rots thread...

Joe

#9 ·
By the way

I have also had powerpro break on my casts while chunking. If you cast hard and far (500ft or so) the pro does not stretch and can't handle the strain of the cast. I tried the 65lb on my 11ft lami with a 229 newell and snapped off every cast. This is why i chunk with mono.

#10 ·
I gave power pro 2 attemps on using this line. Always the same results.
Wind knots every other cast or line breaking off and watching my Lure
sail away.
Never had a problem with Fireline.
I tried the power pro because I wanted to see what all the hype was about.
Well wont be using power pro again thats for sure I put it right where it belongs in the garbage.

#12 ·
Me either

quote:
JACKSON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who the **** wants to soak their line and blow dray it after each use?

Rodcrafter do you really???Why not just change it every year.I'll admit though it does last alot longer than any other line I have used.

#13 ·
I really appreciate all of your input. I always tie a palomar knot including a regular overhand knot on the tag end so I am fairly confident that the knot isn't the problem. Flat spot caused by the tip eye.... possible since when I unrig I hook the coast lock swivel on an eye and take up the slack. Shock leader... I do not use a shock leader, but plan too. To much weight...possibly. I had to use this much, and some guys were using 10 oz. because of extremely strong current, and had problems of it holding. I have used Fireline for several years with no problems on other rigs, though not with 8 oz. of weight. Line rot...should not occur with a material such as Spectre (sp). Powerful caster.... not really, just average. Rough gides....no, this is a brand new rod & reel combo. Before I completely toss out Power Pro, I will try a shock leader. A friend uses 40 lb. test, 36" long with a coast lock swivel & weight on one end and a barrel swivel on the other end hooked to the coast lock swivel on the terminal end of his line. A 6" to 10" snelled #7 hook with a barrel swivel on the opposite end sliding up and down the shock leader with a couple plastic beads on each end protecting the knots serves as the fish finder. However, Fireline is slated for my other rigs. More comments please.

#14 ·
Mr. Foxfirejem, I think you should find out what kind of main line your friend was using and why his held up to the cast. If he/she was using PP too, then, it is possible he/she was using a heavier line. Do you have to use a fishfinder rig setup? Have you tried a high and low or just a bottom rig. I think if you are using 50# PP, using a 60# shock leader could be better with a 6oz-8oz sinker.

Does everyone on the beach use 50# PP or any kind of braid line, a fishfinder rig setup with 6 oz sinker, and the same cast.

Try this, use a 5oz sinker with no shock leader, bait, and the rod and reel with the same PP or a new 50# PP spool. If this time it breaks too, then you got a problem with your cast or your rod tip. It should not break. Does the bail on the reel closed or flipped over after you cast? Are there any nicks or scratches on the reel spool? That can damage your PP too.

#15 ·
Everywhere I go around the internet, every fishing board there is, I read the same thing: "My Power Pro broke for no reason!!!"

How come I never see any messages saying "My Fireline broke for no reason!!!" ?

I recognize some of the names and nicknames in those "My Power Pro broke...." and they're not hooples. They're guys who know how to fish and know how to cast.

The quality of Power pro is erratic. You can get a good spool or a bad spool---luck of the draw.

#16 ·
Hi all
I hope you don't think I unspool the line every time !!!! I throw all my crap I've used that day in a 5 gallon bucket including the spool... Next day I hang my lures back in my bag & hit the spool with the blow dryer for 5 minutes just to warm it up. As far as luck of the draw windcatcher I change all my montauk reels(3) every season thats 9 spools of 300 yrd. 50 lbs. over the last three years without a problem. My north shore reel is the only one I haven't changed in 3 yrs. I do admit I had problems the first time with 20lbs. but since going to 50lbs. nada... I use it without a shock leader with 7/8 redfins to 6oz. lead, fish finder & an eel. I have never used fireline so I can't comment on it.
I wish everyone a happy & safe holiday

Joe

#17 ·
I believe the PP is superior to the fire for the reasons I mentioned in other posts. Altough some of my fishing buddies who are hard core will argue with me-it's always good debate on the beach! But if your PP is breaking I'll say 2 words FLAT SPOT!! Dont store your line over the tip.

#18 ·
To bluefishmaster, I checked the obvious first, mainly all of the things you mentioned. Still...no reason for the two breaks. Fishfinder rigs are very popular here in Virginia as well as on the Outer Banks of North Carolina for stripers, and cobia. I have used them for years with mixed degrees of success and no problems. As I mentioned, my friend uses a 40 lb. shock leader as I described in my previous post, and I have mono leader material up to 80 lb. in my tackle box. I am going to experiment with several of these using different weights at my local highschool football field which I have access too. Probably will do this in March or early April. I have been trying to extend my casts to at least 125 yds. using both 10 and 12 foot rods. I guess that I got line off of a bad spool, BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD FIRELINE TO BREAK!! Even when I wished that it would. In fact, I can not recall anyone else who has had a problem with breakage since I started using it several years ago. My order for a 1,000 yd. spool of 20 lb test will be placed after the holidays. Final judgement on Power Pro will be pending on my experiments.Many thanks for your input, and would appreciate more.

foxfirejem

#19 ·
Dont want to bust your chops its not the line I use 30 lb power pro chunking and chumming for bass and landed several fish over 30lbs with power pro.

The only problem with power pro and other braids is the no stretch with the initial hit. You have to keep your drag 15% lighter or when a fish of size slams a chunk it will break at the spool.
Micro sized guide cuts you can't see.
One day I lost 4 fish breaking off using power pro not at the knot - line looked fine- eyes felt good Had no clue. switched to a back upp for the rest of the day Back at the dock under a spot light we notices the smallest hairlike slice on the 4th eye. Powerpro 30lb being so thin was cutting off in that beyond visible slice when a fish put pressure and bent the rod. Normal mono would of never got traped in that small groove.

Don DEVOCEAN

#21 ·
They all break!!

People might think these are super lines, because they claim the Spectra was used on bullet-proof vest.
They actually get pretty fragile under tension.
It happened to me on Fire-line, Whiplash, Spiderwire. They don't show sign on internal deteriation unlike mono shows curls. They always break at the critical moment,like a hook set on a 50 pounder.

#22 ·
Two things--one, many of the posts are complaining about Power Pro breaking on the cast, not the strike or during the fight. I had it happen to me twice, in fact. Second, my breaks occurred about two turns onto the reel spool, so it wasn't a "flat spot" break from being stretched across the tip. I was fishing from open beach so I don't think the bad spot was due to the line rubbing a rock or bridge abutment. The other thing is, I always back off my drag when I rack my rod, so the line isn't taut against the tip guide.

Some guys have been very lucky and have never bought a bad spool of the stuff, that's my two cents. Me, I guess I've been very unlucky. I don't doubt all the people who've used the stuff for several years without problems---especially Bill---but it seems there's a QC problem with the folks who braid the stuff.

I trust Berkley because they've been extruding mono and braiding fiber line for years, and I trust Cortland and Gudebrod who specialize in braided lines. I don't know anything about the company that braids Power Pro.

#23 ·
POWER PRO

I have several reels loaded with Power Pro 50# adn 65# among them an 975 Penn International and a Shimano Sahara 6000 In two seasons I have had no problems with my Power Pro lines.

I had wind knots problems when the lures I was casting were lighter than what the equipment can handle. Other than that every thing was fine.

#24 ·
it's the line

I've used 50#PP for three years. For the first two years the stuff was indestructable. After this season, I need to try something else. I've lost all confidence in it. I experienced several breakoffs on fish with it this year for no reason. After the third breakoff this year, I bought a new spool (from a different source). I broke off a couple on that spool also. Some of the breakoffs happened in obstruction-free areas, so there's no way it got cut off. I bought a third spool, and it was all discolored fresh from the box. No, it's not my gear. I've checked my guides very carefully and with cotton. I also replaced my line roller mid-season. I admit that I horse fish. But that was never a problem with 30 FireLine or the 50 PP that I used previous to this season. 50-pound line is mighty heavy for a Lami GSB1321M. The blank should break before the line. Anyone have any experiences with Whiplash 50?

#25 ·
A while back my buddy and I had a problem of PP breaking.We spooled 4 reels with with no backup line to use with ud.The line broke at the same distance each cast as ai there was a defect every 250 ft or so.We shortened the cast but learned when fish ran ,the line broke.Returned the line still on the reels and the Band T gave us a new spool.No problems at all.

#26 ·
I love using the braid for bucktailing bass. You cant beat that sensitivity and the small line diameter which lets your bucktail go down deeper.

When fishing with braid, I always bring a spare reel with mono just in case i experience these mysterious break-offs or get a tight birds nest. i suggest you do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.