NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this has been discussed before, but the technology changes weekly.
I am looking for a portable silent(less than 60DB) generator . I plan on hooking directly into my shore power when I use it to power my Spreader lights, fridge, on board charger, coffe pot, Microwave etc. end occasionally the Air conditioner

Ther are basically a couple of choices. I am looking for first hand experiene and pros and cons on any
I need a minimum of 1400 watts to run the AC at start up

Honda Eu20001 Approx. $1000 : 2000 watts

Yamaha EF2400is approx $1200 : 2400 watts

Robin Subaru R1700i Approx $1000 : 1400 watts

Cummins/onan P1700i Approx $1000 : 1400 wats

Mculloch Fdd210 Approx $550 : 1600 watts

Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
No experience with the units you have listed, but my experience tells me you should go for the highest power output you can afford. Afford meaning in both $$ and space. I would also make sure about where you intend to put it. I know on my boat, while hooking it up to the shor power would sure be convienent in terms os wires, it would be less than desireable to have the **** thing in the ****pit. So I put mine up in tower and just wire it directly to the spreader lights. Other appliance are run off an extension cord run from the tower. It keep the hot exhaust panels and gasses out of the ****pit.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Figure out what your load will be. You want to be running the generator at approx. 75% of it's rated load. Running under or over that approx. 75% will shorten the lifespan of the generator.

That being said, I have the Honda EU1000. Great little unit.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KIPOR

CRAIG:
I had discounted the Kip;ors based on negative feed back, How long have you had yours? how much do you use It? I would love to save the $$$ but the am leary of that one

Mako Mike:
I am planning on putting it on my tower and rnning the shore power cord down to it, any downside yo this?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I have had it for 2 years now and I use it quite a bit. I installed eye straps to my hard top so I put it up there and bungee it when I want to use it. I also like being able to take it off and on. It's a work horse and I haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you going to leave it on the boat 24/7 or are you going to take it on and off? You wanna take weight into factor, plus if ur taking it on and off you could always use it at the house if you lose power. I reccomend the honda, my neighbor has the honda 3000 and when we go camping you cant even hear it running.
SF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.