NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've encountered them twice while fishing for cod. What we were doing was jigging cod and reeling them to the surface slowly. This attractts the sharks for they probably wait for the small cod and so on to swim down and ambush them. We then use a whole mackeral and suspend it about eight feet from the bottom. We do the same at the surface, mid depth and twenty feet off bottom. While drifting, we continued to jig cod and eventually the ballon disappered. Hope this helps. They were a good change to reeling small cod up from the depths all day (1 porbeagle and 8 legals caught, all released.)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
MIKE: Another name for em is mackeral shark. Go fishing fer macks with chum and put a couple of live ones out, one high and one low, chunking a little bit doesn't hurt either. You will fill up on macks and maybe get lucky and nail an early season shark.RIGHT NOW is the time to go.

LATER

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buck,
Makos and whites are also "mackerel" sharks. I don't think that means they feed exclusivelyor even predominately on mackerel. Almost all of the makos I've cought were on bluefish and according to woods hole bluefish is the main diet of makos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.