NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I saw a guy in a 25'(?) white, open skiff trolling off Coney Island. This ahole was keeping every bass he caught. I saw him bring in six, none went back. I caught a couple of NJ sized slots on plugs & threw them back. I was POed!
Has anyone else seen this guy?

Joe Sanzone

This message was edited by Joe on 10-25-01 @ 10:39 AM

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Joe, it is possible that what you saw was a commercial fisherman. I am not up to speed with their regulations but I do know that commercial guys can secure a license to use rod & reel. They also can keep many more fish than the recreational anglers. I'm sure the commercial regs are also different for New York & New Jersey. If it was a commercial guy, he still might have not been in compliance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure, but he wasn't diplaying any commercial Id i.e. numbers like every other commercial boat I've seen.

BTW there is NO commercial Striper fishing in NJ.
That's why we're allowed to keep more.

Joe Sanzone

·
Registered
235 Posts
If he was fishing commercially he was still in the wrong this area is closed to commercial striped bass fishing.. you are not even permitted to have commercial bass tags on your boat in these waters even if you have no plans of using them. any boat fishing west of east rockaway inlet commercially for stripers is breaking the law..BOB

this is a daily and nightly routine for this area nobody seems to care exept recreational fisherman but their calls go un answered.. I see it all the time and i really dont care anymore let em have their fun ..the dec seems only to bother the honest fisherman i dont think they want to bother with all the paper work or sometihing cause they REALLY CANT BE THAT STUPID !!!!!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Budget cuts, budget cuts, budget cuts!!! Enforcement used to exist but tax cuts gotta come from somewhere. Word is out and the foxes are raiding the henhouse. I don't think the guy you're talking about is the only one, unfortunately. DEC only has enough funds for daylight ops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.