NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never fished with lures. Can anyone suggest to me what a good setup to start with? I fish the north and south shores of Long Island. My target species are Stripers, Bluefish, and Weakfish. There are so many choices, it is hard enough just to decide on the color. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dragman,

There are so many choices and so little time! The question you pose is not easy to answer. Different plugs/lures, sizes and colors work in different areas at different times. If I were just starting out with plugs I would suggest the following:
1- Kastmaster or Hopkins eel between 1oz and 2 oz
2- Bucktails; white and/or yellow 3/4 oz to 2oz
3- 6" Bomber, black or yellow
4- Creek chub popper, 1.5 oz?, pick a color you like.

This list should get you started. The key is to learn HOW to use each different type of lure and when they do and don't work. The only way you will find this out is by experience, asking other fishermen(they might give you the right answers) and reading(fishing books, fishing boards, etc.). As time goes on you will buy more stuff as you learn what works and doesn't work. Good Luck! Hope this helped!:)

Tight lines,
Bassholl

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hi Dragman,
Ah yes, stripers & blues...words to make me feel warm all over here in the heart of winter ;)
I think a good basic half dozen or so would include (choose from among):
1)Hopkins or Kasmaster or Deadly Dick
2) Felmlee eel
3) YoZuri crystal minnow or Rebel blueback(1 5 1/2" & 1 7")
4) a couple of bucktail jigs all-white, all-yellow
5) Atom Striper Swiper popper (blue & white)
6) couple of needles (pink, purple/white, yellow)
7) something big & splashy like a Danny or, if you can find one, a Goo Goo eyes or reverse Atom or even a big, old creek chub jointed Pikie...something that'll make a helluva fuss splashing along in the suds...

Pick up a few of these & you should be in good shape to get started...first chance you get, though, get somebody local to show you how to fish live eels at night & that'll get you out there at night when the action really picks up...:):)

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

This message was edited by Jerryvov on 2-6-02 @ 11:58 AM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Boy,what a bag of worms! what where when how? Lets say for the south shore in the spring.
1. 1oz castmaster & deadly dick
2. 1oz white superstrike popper
3. 1 5in. blueback sinking rebel and 1
black back sinking rebel for around
jetty's.
4. 3/4 oz bucktails white 1/2 oz bass
assasins white purple back
5. 6 in. chicken scratch bomber
6. 5 in. redhead whitebody redfin
7. and lots of teasers
8. and for something bigger 6 in white
Danny.
Trouble is i could go on all night I keep a box of different sizes ,colors and makes in the back of my buggy and change due to conditions. Even then I'm not sure if I always pick right. Oh and we never touched what rod to use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. Does anyone use lures from Rapala, Storm, or Gags grabbers? Which colors and types work best. I have since purchased. Atoms Striper Swiper Rainbow and jr. swiper red/white, Yo-Zuri arc minnow, Yo Zuri crystal minnow red/white and green/gold, Deadly Dicks, Bucktails Yellow/White/Green, Crippled herring, and Bomber yellow. Is there anything I should be aware of with my selection so far pros or cons? Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dragman,

Looks like yer doin pretty good so far. The gags in the bunker pattern seems to work well. I see you bought quite a few yozuri plugs. They are beautiful, but not worth the money in my opinion. You should try a local tackle shop and pick up some gibbs plugs to add to your collection. Good Luck!:)

Tight lines,
Bassholl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.