NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas...this is bassbarbie.. sorry guys had to change my name a little as I connected to a new service! But anyway, I would like to ask a question!? I have a 9 ft. Lamiglas pole,what I would like to know is ... how would a Penn 560 slammer reel work with it????? any suggestions please let me know! thankyou and my new email is [email protected] any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. drop me a post thanks!!!

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
If you plan on using the Slammer to live line - suggest you drop to the Shimano Baitrunner. A little lighter in weight. Makes holding it for long periods of time easier. The 4500 weighs in around 15 oz. I believe. Looked at the slammer but it was substantially heavier. Put the Baitrunner on my 10 foot St. Croix. Was a nice light rod - didn't want to weigh it down with a heavy reel. Spool the baitrunner with 20 # Fireline as it doesn't have a lot of line capacity (240 yards @ 12 #).

Plan on using this for slinging snakes.

Suggest you take the rod down to Sports Authority or some other local tackle shop. Try the reels on the lami, see how they feel & then decide.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Have to second the 5500 - that's what I have on my smaller - 8' St. Croix. Nice light reel.

If you wanted to go with something a little heavier - but still not overly heavy - the Shimano Baitrunner (4500 series) would be my second choice.

Slammer just a little too heavy.

Again - take your rod to the shop & try them all on the rod - see which one feels best to you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
GO FOR IT!

I have the 560 slammer with an 11ft. Lamiglas.I use it for lures and it works great.Not to sound chauvinistic but it may be a little heavy for you,if you're casting lures for a while.They do make a slightly lighter Slammer(460).When I bought mine I was able to take it outside store and "cast" with it.Suggest you do the same to see how it feels.Good Luck..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.