NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Banned
775 Posts
You saw the part about no title and the seller listing it (incorrectly even) just as a parts boat right? I know absolutely nothing about documenting a boat for passenger service, but would guess that the buyer has a learning curve in the near future.

· Registered
195 Posts
uscg inspected boat

all passanger most go tru uscg inspection for a coi. been their many times no fun. a team of guys pick apart your boat from wires to hoses shafts bearings motor mounts rust. safty gear u name it the go tru it and tell u what they want fixed and by when. this is every year with wood boats this is worse they go tru every plank with a mallet dead planks must be replaced bad ribs also must be fixed. re cauked and swelled up. if this boat's coi had expired even harder to pass inspection. if the boat was not very well maintained over the past year, and not sure of the $$ situation on the owner or capt. behalf it could just be to gone to get a coi back. dont forget with the boat u get a insurance bill of at least $20,000 a year. fuel on the water is up at $5 a gallon. to haul a boat that size for a week is $4,000 before your yard bill. dockage runs 5 to 10 thousand a year for boat and parking for your coustomers. guys open a current boats and harbors just about every boat is for sale. so was that boat sold to cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
6 Posts
Pilot II

Hi Fellews, Well I'am the lucky (or unlucky) guy that won the bid for Pilot II. I've done some research and found this vessel had quite a bit of local history behind her. I bought this boat sight unseen and took a chance. I don;t even know if she ran or not. Thanks to several people on this blog sight I have learned enough to guess maybe she's ok for the purpose I intended for her. At this time I'am planning on moving her to Lake Erie where she will undergo
a conversion into a live aboard boat for my retirement. I have always liked wood boats (real boats), not that I have anything agaisnt plastic snot boats (fiberglass) Sorry just had to say that. or even Blow boats (sail) but wood boats with their heaviness seem to provide a more stable live aboard, even at dockside. And being wood your never gonna run out of the Hunny to do list!. I'am sure under the circumstances that Pilot II would have soon met a fate I'am sure would have not been desirable. I hope if all goes as planned I can keep her afloat and running for years to come. It's always sad when a vessel meets the end of the line. And I'am sure Tom took great pride in her while he was alive. I hope to do the same in the foregoing future. Yes I did for an instant think about running her for charter again, but as one person here stated with the CC inspecitions and the upkeep and now the price of fuel to push a heavy boat through the water I think those days for her are done.
Safe passage for all out there and I will try to keep those of you that knew Tom and the Pilot II abreast of her future. Denny

· Registered
7,348 Posts
I'm sure Capt Tom is smiling away knowing his girl that served him for so many years is gonna get a well deserved makeover and easy living in her retirement life. Good luck with her and please take photos of the before and after of her to show us all

· Registered
6 Posts
pilot II

Thanks guys for all the encouragement. Pilot will set where she's at for the moment. I am presently working in Baghdad, Iraq and so the project won;t get started until next spring. Hopefully by then there will still be something left. Word on the docks is she has been gone through and pretty much anything that wasn;t welded down is gone. Seems now I'll have to replace all the electronics and safety gear. I saved all the pictures from the Ebay listing so I have the before pics and yes I'll take pics of her future transision.
Has anyone cruised up the Hudson to Erie canal? How far is it and is there a strong current to fight. Trying to get some ideas on th cost and time factor to get her to Lake Erie. I have R&R in Sept. and if the weather is ok and I she is still able to make the trip I might try for it then. But I'll have to give her a complete check up and hopefully the ole gal will want to make the trip. For now I have plans to head up the Hudson to Erie Canal then across the canal and I see I have two choices, the canal splits and one way runs north to Lake Ontario in Oswego and the other continues to Niagara river above the falls. Hope to get some input as which way to go from people that have crusied it. Lake Ontairo (less locks faster travel) or straight through canal to Niagara River in Buffalo and into Lake Erie. (more locks-shorter distance) The one thing I have to look at also is if the boat will make the bridge clearances. Not sure the water line to top of radar/ antenna tower is on the boat. There appears to be close to 16 ft clearance the entire trip. So things to look at before I get started. Hey if it gets to cold there in New York let me know, I'll send some heat over, It was 136* yesterday afternoon here in Baghdad. Safe passages to all, Denny

· Premium Member
6,822 Posts
You will be close w/ the air draft past Troy. Certainly everything on top of the wheel house will have to come down. The Fall is a good time to transit, less current after the dry season, but it won't be a picnic.

Feel free to PM me whne you want some advice, I'll give you my e-mail address. I know quite a bit about boats built by that family, although I never worked on that particular one. I see the scanner control is still in the wheel house, just like mine. Good ground for lightning strikes.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.