NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting out jigging and would like to see how to rig up for some of these fish. I hear top shot no top shot,put a buck tail or a jig 2 ft from the Diamond jigs.

Thanks
JOE

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
http://www.peacetoken.com/rigseabass.html

I only have limited experience jigging sea bass offshore but I think that the jig is probably irrelevant but chrome/gold seems to be excellent choices. Size and weight are important up to 8 or so ozs. The CRITICAL part is having a squid strip on the hook in order to get bites. I'd like to try a torpedo sinker with a small siwash and squid strip and see if that works well. Kil if you have one at home (torpedo sinker) bring it along as I'll try and see if it works or if I have time I'm going to buy one. I bet it would work though. I'm crossing my fingers for the w****er.

This post edited by tunafever 09:28 PM 02/10/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
I was about to write about seabass jigging rigs.:)

It seems smaller jigs work better, but I found it is necessary to use 6 - 8 oz jigs to fish 200 - 250 ft. Once jigs are bigger than 8 oz diamond jigs, bites are substantially decreased.
I don't see much difference as long as the sizes of jigs are small. The only reason I use hammered diamond jigs is it works and it doesn't cost much even I lose a few at rocky bottom or wrecks.

As tunafever stated, you definitely get less bites without squid strips on the hook. However, I observed that Tom (raekwon) had constant bites on teasered hooks without squid strips. I plan to experiment teasered hooks without squid strips in the future trips.

This post edited by KILSONG 12:35 AM 02/11/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I know the lead prices are going through the roof, but tungsten jigs? Really? And there I thought Sanmes were expensive. What would an iridium jig go for? No need to paint it, just polish it up - that should save on cost a bit. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I see you guys have a good arsenal of hammered jigs. They seem to have an advantage for me fishing bass at the race, but for sea bass, are they still better than the regular chrome? Also, which style of teaser is known to work best?

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
NanbayFluker wrote:
I see you guys have a good arsenal of hammered jigs. They seem to have an advantage for me fishing bass at the race, but for sea bass, are they still better than the regular chrome? Also, which style of teaser is known to work best?

I am not sure hammered diamond jigs work better, but it works. :)

Big seabass are very aggressive and take any small jigs and teasers. The popular teasers on my trips are small squid teaters on the jig hook and the teaser below for second teaser hoooks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
NanbayFluker wrote:

I am not sure hammered diamond jigs work better, but it works. :)

Big seabass are very aggressive and take any small jigs and teasers. The popular teasers on my trips are small squid teaters on the jig hook and the teaser below for second teaser hoooks.

Got to hand it to you Kil, you'll try anything!!! - "small squid teaters" - is it cup size that the "A" and "B" refer to in the photo?
(LOL)

Seriously though, thank you for all the great pictures and explanations on how to get set up.

- Jay

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
GloucesterToo wrote:

Kil - Hope all is well.

What rod is pictured above and what to you recommend for jigging with 6 - 8 ounce jigs for seabass. I'm leaning towards a Calstar 800L and a little Torium I like light, and sensitive rods.
That is the reason why GLoomis Muskie rods are popular seabass jigging fishermen.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Rodwinder wrote:
HI Kil,

I am in the process of BUilding a GUSA 80 Monster that i trimmed a little from each direction, i think it will be a definitive sea bass jigging rodI love to see the rod. :) Can you bring next week ?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sea bass are not too picky about jig or teaser. The hammered diamond is hard to beat, but I've also caught them well on Sea Rock jigs and Solvkrokens. I've also seen people successfully using painted trolling drails with hooks attached. Just about anything will work for a teaser - squid skirts, flies, curly tail grubs, latex tubes, and the bucktail or mylar tubes that slide on the line.

When the fish are thick, I do not feel adding squid makes a big difference. However, it helps to have a more aggressive jigging action than the slow bounce. I have less success using a slow bounce with unsweetend jigs, perhaps because the sea bass have time to investigate before biting. When I swing high and let it drop, they just grab it as it flutters down.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.